Re: what pedestrian cities in the US

  • David Hazen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 20, 2003
      I live in the metro Boston area with easy access to the MBTA and I
      am a short walk to various stores. I never felt the need to own a
      car in my 15 years in metro Boston.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "sanita196" <tac@m...> wrote:
      > What U.S. cities are considered car-free cities (pedestrian
      cities)?

      > I moved from Japan to a mid-sized city in Oregon, and I find it
      hard to
      > get around without a car. In the city I previously lived in, I
      could find anything
      > I needed within 10 minues' walk from the train station-- a
      department store was
      > just 2 minutes' walk away from the station, a barber shop 3
      minutes, McDonald's
      > was right inside the train station, electronic appliances store 7
      minues, post office 1
      > minute, a cleaner 30 seconds, and so on... and my apartment was
      near the train
      > station. Now I have to walk 40+ minutes to get to the department
      store.

      > Although this is obviously an extreme case, I'd like to find a
      place where it's more
      > convenient for pedestrians. Any suggestions?
    • Valentin
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 20, 2003
        I went to school in Salem and I felt the same way. and then I moved to
        Boston and didn't have a car then. it just wasn't practical. everything I
        needed was close by and accessible. and it was just easier to go with what
        was functional.