Re: good op/ed on urban housing

  • Mike Neuman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 15, 2003
      Yes, I thought the article was excellent as well. My city - Madison,
      Wis., - is deciding tonight whether to expand the capacity of the 6-
      lane major arterial (East Washington Avenue) leading to the downtown
      state Capital/University area. The mayor floated a trial balloon to
      reduce the auto carrying capacity of the avenue, by proposing two of
      the lanes of traffic run at slower speeds to accomodate bicyclists
      and pedestrians, and greenway medians, trees, etc.. But the
      neighbors to the facility got worried that the excess traffic would
      spill over in their neighborhoods.

      The problem is that the mayor did not include any mode alternatives
      or highway demand reduction measures to reduce auto traffic coming
      into the city. In fact, there is way too much traffic coming into
      the city from the small little towns and rural areas that have hugely
      gained in population over the last 10 years, from ex-Madisonions
      looking for larger houses with lower property taxes out in
      Sprawlville -- the vast majority of who still work in Madison with
      East Washington Ave. serving as the funnel.

      The city planners would have benefited by reading the this article on
      the benefits of high density development in the city.

      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "dubluth" <dubluth@y...> wrote:
      > The link to the article didn't work in my earlier post. A > and a
      > couple of spaces were added as it was wrapped. I'm trying again.
      >
      > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "dubluth" <dubluth@y...>
      wrote:
      > > Posted on carfree
      > >
      > > From: De Clarke <de@u...>
      > > Date: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:29 am
      > > Subject: good op/ed on urban housing
      > >

      > <http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/188/oped/The_virtue_of_density+.
      > shtml>
      >

      > > [a concluding para]
      > >
      > > Recently the Globe's architecture critic, Robert Campbell,
      > > informed us that Paris is four times as dense as Boston - and
      > > few people are complaining. The next day the Globe reported that
      > > ''developed'' land in Massachusetts has increased by 50 percent
      > > over the 1980s and '90s, and other newspapers reported that tree
      > > cover in the Washington, D.C., region had decreased by more than
      > > a quarter in the past 20 years. Which of these futures do we want?
      > >
      > > --
    • dubluth
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 16, 2003
        Speaking of citizen input regarding local roads, see this link.

        <http://actionnetwork.org/campaign/local_transit?rk=m7a5AG51EcJQW>

        This from the Environmetal Defense e-action campaign:

        "As the highway industry prepares to spend billions of your tax
        dollars on road projects around the country, they and their allies in
        Washington, D.C. are trying to reduce opportunities for input from
        local residents so they can steamroll more harmful road projects
        through federal reviews."

        You can take action by sending a letter to decision makers via the
        above link.

        Bill Carr

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Neuman" <mtneuman@j...>