Good article from [of all places] Cato

  • Matt Hohmeister
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 14, 2003
      http://www.cato.org/pubs/regulation/reg19n2f.html

      Here's an interesting article I found on Cato Institute's website. I
      had always thought of libertarians as the type to defend your right to
      develop in any way you wish, as long as you stay under 3 houses per
      acre.

      *snip*
      5. In areas other than those zoned for industry, zoning should be
      cumulative. In other words, any use permitted in a more protected zone
      may be carried on in a less protected one, thus allowing mixed-use
      development. Office and commercial areas that normally are considered
      "less protected," such as apartments that are usually allowed
      in "more protected" areas, should be permitted over shops. Downtown
      commercial areas under more flexible zoning no longer would need to
      become deserts every evening after employees flee to the suburbs.
      *snip*