RE: [carfree_cities] RE: Trains, Buses and Automobiles (was "Paradigm Shift in Houston:)

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2003
      > In the absence of significant economic incentives to do otherwise, people
      > in this country will continue to use their automobiles. You can bet on
      > it. After all, in America, the car is king. How many TV commercials do
      > you see for subway trains vs. automobiles?
      >
      > Mike
      What I see and feel is America is "Auto-Destructing"
      itself.
      If nothing is done, the society is to be destroyed by
      its automobiles sooner or later. I'm just awaiting the
      day where oil become rare and suburbs will die unless
      some rail transit will offer a link to town or at least
      some place where you can find services/goods.
      Houses more than 10-minutes away (by foot, confirming
      implicit mode of transit) from everywhere and big-box stores in a
      sea of cars will eventually become phantom places
      unless something is done NOW.

      Car culture is to pay for its nuisance sooner or later.
      Thinking about the stubbornness of some car dependant
      gov't, society, or individuals, I'm thinking it might
      be faster to let them burn oil as fast as they can, so
      we'll reach the end of the nightmare (for us carfree
      people) sooner, and by our non-dependancy on cars we
      should survive much better into the next generation, if not live and enjoy
      life better, when oil is over and
      human-scaled development is forced back in as it should have always
      remained.

      I don't know about future, so that's a guess for me,
      but each time I see one of those TV ads throwing speeding beasts on my
      screen, I think it can't be that
      way for very long now.

      Louis-Luc
    • Mike Neuman
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
        Excellent comments by Louis-Luc, but there is plenty of evidence on
        the global warming problem now to show that waiting for the day we
        burn up all the oil will doom us to ever increasingly hot and humid
        temperatures, (as existed on the planet during the time the
        permafrost region was formed). It could very well get much hotter
        than that if we continue our present fossil fuel burning dependent
        lifestyles in the U.S. and other developed and developing countries
        of the world. Our planet could ultimately turn into a wasteland, with
        no water and no plant and animal life possible, as scientists say
        happened on Venus years ago, when Venus' atmosphere experienced a
        runaway greenhouse effect, and its oceans of water simmered away.

        No, this is not scare mongering, as many of the global warming
        skeptics would argue passionate environmentalists like to do. The
        potential for this scenario playing itself out on Venus's twin
        planet, Earth, is very real.

        This is not to say temperatures on Earth will reach levels near 900
        degrees Fareighnheit as presently exist on Venus, the hottest planet
        in the solar system. Earth's temperature presently averages about 50
        degrees F. All it would take would be a doubling of so of that to
        wipe out all life on the planet.

        Scientific modeling of what our future climate will be like BY the
        turn of the century if we continue to operate under the current
        administration's "business as usual" approach to addressing
        (ignoring) the issue of climate change is that summertime
        temperature's in Wisconsin could be close to 20 degrees F. in summer,
        with higher humidity levels as well. Such increases in temperature
        levels in the already hot summer months will be dead for human and
        other forms of animal and plant life, and will destroy much
        infrastructure in cities and rural areas as well. Such is the legacy
        we are going to be leaving to the children of today --many of whom
        will still be alive by the turn of the century -- and of tomorrow, if
        we continue to do business as usual, without taking appropriate major
        and significant actions now to reduce fossil fuel burning.

        The time to begin cutting back on oil burning in cars and other
        motorized vehicles is now. There are basically only two ways of
        doing that, both of which should be done now: (1) greatly improve
        energy efficiency in motorized vehicles; (2) greatly reduce our use
        of motorized vehicles, preferably to emergency uses only, if possible.

        Here's a way that might be achieved:

        Someone once said there is "no free lunch" when it comes to using and
        polluting the environment. The time to conserve and preserve the
        environment, by greatly reducing fossil fuel burning in vehicles,
        homes and recreational use is now, before the pathetic condition of
        being "too late" arrives.

        "Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that
        matter."
        - Martin Luther King, Jr.

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Louis-Luc" <exqmtl@a...>
        wrote:

        > What I see and feel is America is "Auto-Destructing"
        > itself.
        > If nothing is done, the society is to be destroyed by
        > its automobiles sooner or later. I'm just awaiting the
        > day where oil become rare and suburbs will die unless
        > some rail transit will offer a link to town or at least
        > some place where you can find services/goods.
        > Houses more than 10-minutes away (by foot, confirming
        > implicit mode of transit) from everywhere and big-box stores in a
        > sea of cars will eventually become phantom places
        > unless something is done NOW.
        >
        > Car culture is to pay for its nuisance sooner or later.
        > Thinking about the stubbornness of some car dependant
        > gov't, society, or individuals, I'm thinking it might
        > be faster to let them burn oil as fast as they can, so
        > we'll reach the end of the nightmare (for us carfree
        > people) sooner, and by our non-dependancy on cars we
        > should survive much better into the next generation, if not live
        and enjoy
        > life better, when oil is over and
        > human-scaled development is forced back in as it should have always
        > remained.
        >
        > I don't know about future, so that's a guess for me,
        > but each time I see one of those TV ads throwing speeding beasts on
        my
        > screen, I think it can't be that
        > way for very long now.
        >
        > Louis-Luc
      • Mike Neuman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2003
          Inadvertently, the post I made this morning under the "Trains, Planes
          and Automobiles" subject line had a word missing in one of the
          sentences. The following was the sentence:

          > ... summertime temperature's in Wisconsin could be close to 20
          degrees F. in summer, with higher humidity levels as well....

          I meant to say summertime temperatures in Wisconsin by the end of the
          century are expected to be 20 degrees F. "hotter" than Wisconsin's
          present summertime temperatures (if current rate of greenhouse gas
          emissions continue). The source of this projected increase is from a
          study published by the Union of Concerned Scientists this past April,
          which was authored by a number of prominent global warming scientists
          from various universities around the Midwest. The study can be read
          and downloaded from the following web site:
          http://www.ucsusa.org/greatlakes/glchallengereport.html

          For your information, temperatures already reach into the 90s and
          occasionally above 100 degrees F in Wisconsin during the spring and
          summer. An increase in summertime temperatures by 20 degrees F as
          projected above will greatly add to mortality rates from heat waves
          in Wisconsin.
          http://www.crh.noaa.gov/mkx/heatwave.htm

          The heat wave-caused mortality will be especially high in Wisconsin
          and other cities, as the so-called "heat-island effect" -- largely
          created by a city having a substantial portions of its area paved
          over with heat-absorbing cement concrete and black asphalt (primarily
          for automobile use of highways, streets, parking lots and driveways) -
          - typically causes summertime temperature levels in cities to be
          2-10°
          F degrees F warmer than temperatures in the non-paved areas
          surrounding cities.
          http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/ActionsLocalHeat
          IslandEffect.html

          Of also increased concern is that not only do the elevated
          temperature levels in these cities contribute to potentially
          dangerous heat related public health impacts in these areas
          (especially for those having no home air conditioning, and for those
          who have to be outside for long period of time during the day), but
          also these areas typically have higher ground level ozone levels due
          to all the automobile driving in the area, which is a factor that can
          lead to increased rates of hospitalization and mortality in the
          population of asthmatic children and adults having a prior history of
          respiratory problems.

          Finally, humidity levels, as measured by dew point temperatures, have
          been increasing in essentially all regions of the country over the
          past several years. Refer to Table 4 of the article posted below on
          the Climate Archive Yahoo group: