NYTimes.com Article: Japanese Winning Cleanup Battles

  • rickrise@earthlink.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 2, 2003
      This article from NYTimes.com
      has been sent to you by rickrise@....

      /-------------------- advertisement -----------------------\

      Explore more of Starbucks at Starbucks.com.

      Japanese Winning Cleanup Battles

      July 2, 2003

      TESHIMA, Japan - The heavily laden ships came for 12 years,
      wending their way past the lush, low-slung islands that
      fill this sea, to dump their cargoes of shredded
      automobiles and other toxic waste on this sparsely
      inhabited speck of land.

      That the islands of the Inland Sea were Japan's first
      designated national park did nothing to obstruct the
      illegal traffic. The interests of powerful industries were
      at stake. So, too, it was rumored, were those of the
      yakuza, or the Japanese mob.

      A few weeks ago, however, after a battle lasting a quarter
      of a century, including lawsuits, petitions and protests by
      the 1,400 residents of this relatively poor and obscure
      island, the ships finally began reversing the process. They
      are carting the refuse away to a locality that has accepted
      it, beginning a cleanup process that some estimate will
      cost $500 million.

      Although remarkable enough in isolation, Teshima's victory
      is more than the triumph of a small community against
      powerful outside forces. It is a spectacular example of a
      recent wave of local activism in Japan.

      The movement has reclaimed authority from a government that
      has been all-powerful until now, enforced tighter
      environmental standards on dangerous industries and opposed
      runaway development schemes, from unwanted highways and
      bridges to dams.

      Nowadays, Teshima residents often drive atop a hill to
      watch the twice-weekly ships that carry away what is left
      of some 500,000 tons of industrial waste that was dumped
      here and burned in open fires from 1978 to 1990. For many,
      there is a pinch-me quality to their victory.

      "When we started out, 25 years ago, one of the lawyers
      asked us, 'Do you really think you can win a case like
      this,' " said Shozo Aki, a thickset man whose huge forearms
      attest to a former life as a fisherman. "I told them that I
      know that this is a battle of the ant against the elephant,
      but we have to fire at least one arrow, or there is no way
      we can face our descendants."

      As it turned out, of the 549 people who signed a petition
      opposing the dumping in 1993, more than 100 have died
      already, as have two of the island's 13 lawyers. For his
      part, Mr. Aki, who islanders say stood his ground against
      threats by gangsters hired to intimidate local residents,
      had to abandon fishing when the seas around the island went
      dead with industrial poisons.

      "Every time it rained, 150 tons of toxic wastes ran off
      into the sea right here," said Harutoshi Kojima, a
      65-year-old farmer and island activist, who took a visitor
      on a tour of the dump site, where a retaining wall has been
      built and a tarplike covering placed over the waste. "The
      experts say we had as much dioxin here as the United States
      used in Vietnam. Nothing would grow in these waters - no
      fish, no shellfish, not even seaweed."

      As Mr. Kojima spoke, a hawk flew overhead peering into the
      thick bed of seaweed, in which cavorting schools of fish
      could be spotted. "We are all amazed by nature's recovery
      powers," he said.

      Dumping is on the political defensive all over Japan these
      days as local communities perfect grass-roots mobilization.
      Reform-minded local politicians have begun to be elected,
      having finally figured out - as happened in the United
      States long ago - that running against a distant,
      insensitive capital can be a powerful draw for voters.

      This month, for example, the assembly of Sendai, a city in
      Kagoshima prefecture, introduced a bill to tax the fuel
      used in nuclear power plants there. If the bill passes,
      Sendai will become the second city in recent weeks to
      impose local taxes on an industry that has been prone to
      accidents and safety scandals.

      While the electric industry has been warning of blackouts
      in Tokyo this summer, residents of places like Fukushima
      and Niigata prefectures have insisted on rigorous safety
      guarantees before temporarily closed nuclear power stations
      can be restarted after reports of cracks in reactor shrouds
      and falsified inspections.

      In Kumamoto prefecture this month, 2,000 local farmers won
      a seven-year fight against Construction Ministry plans to
      build a huge dam there. Japan's central government, perhaps
      seeing the writing on the wall, declined to appeal a high
      court decision in the farmers' favor.

      Mr. Aki, the former fisherman turned industrial engineer,
      said one key to Teshima's victory was Japan's news media,
      which often takes its cues unquestioningly from the
      government. As he casually peppered his conversation with
      the names of journalists at the country's major newspapers
      whom he has gotten to know over the years, Mr. Aki said
      dogged efforts to get the message out about what he called
      a travesty of justice had finally paid off.

      "We have an expression in Japan, that sweet cakes drop from
      the shelf, which means someone will eventually come along
      and solve things for you," Mr. Aki said, recounting his
      struggle over a multicourse meal of local seafood and beer.

      "But I am quite sure that that is not how things work," he
      added. "We had to stand up for ourselves, and reach out to
      the outside world."

      onlinesales@... or visit our online media
      kit at http://www.nytimes.com/adinfo

      Copyright 2003 The New York Times Company