[carfree_cities] Re: Example of highway costs through Boston.

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 21, 2000
      "ronald dawson" <rdadddm-@...> wrote:

      > Hi, I found an interesting URL from the Boston Globe relating to how
      much
      > the BIG DIG/I-93 is costing taxpayers.
      > http://www.boston.com/news/daily/15/bigdig_report.htm (click on
      "Project
      > Cost")
      > At about $1.5 Billon a mile I sure hope they get their money's worth
      and
      > this still doesn't include a more needed North South rail link.

      Yes, this is an especially absurd case. Putting the freeway underground
      will be an enormous help to downtown Boston, but getting rid of
      it entirely might have been even better, and would have cost
      only a fraction of the $55,000 it's costing to provide capacity
      for each daily car expected to use it. Just to carry the interest
      (at 5%), someone who used the highway daily would have to pay
      $2750 per year in fees, or nearly $10/day.