Re: [carfree_cities] Park-and-Ride as Interim Solution

  • Martha Torell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 31, 2000
      jym@... wrote:

      > > I expect that park and ride will be an interim solution.
      >
      > =v= I recall a huge promotional campaign for Park-and-Ride in
      > the mid-1970s, to save energy during the Energy Crisis and to
      > spare the air. That was a quarter of a century ago, and it's
      > done neither. How much more of an interim is needed?

      The interim to which I refer is between our profound autodependence and
      having a choice of transport, mass, rail and bike hs the same reach the
      automobile does.

      In the 70's the push was to save energy but few seriously considered
      giving up autos or the damage they do. Now, even if, magically, autos
      cleaned the air and ran on clean power, many people, I among them, would
      object to the auto monopoly.

      So if people take rail for part of their commute, and are parted from
      their beloved automobiles at one end of that commute, great. What will
      happen is that someone who parks and rides the commuter rail, will one
      day be sitting in a traffic jam and wish that he were on the train
      messing around with his laptop or watching his kids with their coloring
      books. It will be a revolution inside his head. For the first time he
      will think of his auto as second class transportation. You know when
      the auto monopoly will really have ended. When some 16 year old boy is
      disappointed that he got a car for his birthday.

      Martha