Re: don't compare first and third world

  • prometeus57
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 9, 2003
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, william stewart
      <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
      > I don't see any reason to exclude the 'developing' nations from
      energy
      > use comparisons. After all, many cultures that aren't as developed
      > exhibit high degrees of sustainability. Does having A/C, big TVs,
      SUVs,
      > PlayStations, etc give our lives more meaning? Or are toys and
      image
      > crutches the essence of "The American Way of Life"?

      First to get rid of some strawmen you've thrown in as so
      much chaff to defend your worldview. I am not an American,
      nor do I defend the "American Way of Life". I spit on them.
      As I already said, perfectly good comparisons can be made
      with Western and Northern Europe. Now onto your argument;
      the one sentence of it there is.

      It's not necessary for you to accept that non-industrial
      cultures are so much primitive savages that should be
      exterminated in the swiftest manner possible, that they
      should and would be put out of their misery if only it
      wouldn't inevitably lead to moral degredation in ourselves.

      What is necessary is for you to accept the reality that
      many people hold to this worldview to some degree. And
      I'm not talking about right-wing racists, but about left-
      wingers who can't stand misoginy, slavery, brutality,
      misery, squalor and superstitious fear. Not all left-
      wingers accept cultural relativism.

      To people concerned with social justice, however few
      and far between they are, your eco-freak stance of
      "sustainability above all" will only earn you an
      invitation to go fuck yourself.

      And considering the fact that social justice is a far,
      far more important motive to the vast majority of people
      than long-term ecological sustainability, I think that
      shoving your misplaced priorities in their face is
      impolitic to say the least.
    • Will
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "prometeus57"
        <prometeus57@y...> wrote:

        > It's not necessary for you to accept that non-industrial
        > cultures are so much primitive savages that should be
        > exterminated in the swiftest manner possible,

        An odd thesis statement if I ever heard one...

        > that they
        > should and would be put out of their misery if only it
        > wouldn't inevitably lead to moral degredation in ourselves.
        >
        > What is necessary is for you to accept the reality that
        > many people hold to this worldview to some degree.

        Perhaps many people that you associate with. I've never heard such rot.

        And
        > I'm not talking about right-wing racists, but about left-
        > wingers who can't stand misoginy, slavery, brutality,
        > misery, squalor and superstitious fear. Not all left-
        > wingers accept cultural relativism.

        I'd like to see support for statements such as the above. "Many" could
        be 20 people in the world or 2000, hardly a significant number.

        > To people concerned with social justice, however few
        > and far between they are, your eco-freak stance of
        > "sustainability above all" will only earn you an
        > invitation to go fuck yourself.

        LOL! Who cares what a few extremists say?

        > And considering the fact that social justice is a far,
        > far more important motive to the vast majority of people
        > than long-term ecological sustainability,

        This flies in the face of what you wrote above.

        I think that
        > shoving your misplaced priorities in their face is
        > impolitic to say the least.

        Sorry, freedom of speech is important to all of us and if we stand on
        principles and step on a few feet, so be it.
      • turpin
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
          William stewart <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
          > After all, many cultures that aren't
          > as developed exhibit high degrees of
          > sustainability.

          I doubt that very much. Many developing
          nations, perhaps most, have economies
          that depend heavily on technology,
          equipment, and other goods that they
          do not and cannot product themselves.
          Many even have to import food. Their
          local economies might have been
          sustainable a few population doublings
          back, but these days, economies are
          much more interconnected than most
          naive notions of sustainability.
        • Will
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
            --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "turpin" <turpin@y...> wrote:
            > William stewart <v_stewart@e...> wrote:
            > > After all, many cultures that aren't
            > > as developed exhibit high degrees of
            > > sustainability.

            > I doubt that very much. Many developing
            > nations, perhaps most, have economies
            > that depend heavily on technology,
            > equipment, and other goods that they
            > do not and cannot product themselves.

            There is a difference between sustainability and self-sufficiency.
            One doesn't have to be self-sufficient in order to have a higher
            degree of sustainability than the US. Europe is just one example.
            And of course, the US is by no means self-sufficient.

            > Many even have to import food. Their
            > local economies might have been
            > sustainable a few population doublings
            > back, but these days, economies are
            > much more interconnected than most
            > naive notions of sustainability.

            Your point is self-sufficiency, so I would tend to agree, though there
            are many primitive cultures that are completely sustainable and
            self-sufficient. And yes, their numbers are decreasing every year as
            we attempt to 'civilize' them.

            Will
          • prometeus57
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
              > Your point is self-sufficiency, so I would tend to agree, though
              > there are many primitive cultures that are completely sustainable
              > and self-sufficient. And yes, their numbers are decreasing every
              > year as we attempt to 'civilize' them.

              You mean, as we DO civilize them.

              The noble savage is a myth and a delusion. North American autochtones
              were brutish, nasty and completely uncivilized by any objective
              standard. Australian aborigines killed and ate their own babies while
              living their lives in a schizophrenic dreamworld. Indians raped their
              own daughters; "If a girl is a virgin, then it's because she has no
              father nor brothers." and this universally accepted fact was
              publically used to justify the institutional rape that is
              child-brides. And African mothers cut off the clits of their own
              daughters even to the present day!

              The primitive cultures are characterized by misogyny, slavery,
              brutality, misery, squalor, and superstitious fear. The Western
              cultures are automatically superior to the savages' since it takes a
              certain degree of sanity to concern oneself with the real world,
              investigate it, and develop the extensive technologies to control it
              as we have done. Of course, it doesn't take that much sanity, as
              should be obvious to any dispassionate observer of either the USA and
              Japan. So even though being industrialized doesn't guarantee sanity
              (the Victorians certainly weren't), being primitive all but
              guarantees insanity.

              You may choose to order your life and beliefs according to the
              anti-scientific precepts of cultural relativism, but most people do
              not. And shoving your provincial delusions in their face isn't going
              to win you any friends or allies. In fact, since people value social
              justice far above ecological sustainability (because the former is an
              immediate concern, while the latter isn't), your eco-freak stance
              ("sustainability" is the only thing worth consideration) alone is
              enough to put other people off.
            • Will
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 10, 2003
                <prometeus57@y...> wrote:
                > > Your point is self-sufficiency, so I would tend to agree, though
                > > there are many primitive cultures that are completely sustainable
                > > and self-sufficient. And yes, their numbers are decreasing every
                > > year as we attempt to 'civilize' them.
                >
                > You mean, as we DO civilize them.

                If getting them hooked on Coca Cola, McDonald's hamburgers,
                airconditioning, and automobiles (the point of this group) is
                considered civilization, then you are right. But that is hardly
                admirable or desirable.

                > The noble savage is a myth and a delusion.

                Um, how many have you known personally? Ok, I thought so.

                > North American autochtones
                > were brutish, nasty and completely uncivilized by any objective
                > standard.

                At least in the propaganda that you read.

                > The primitive cultures are characterized by misogyny, slavery,
                > brutality, misery, squalor, and superstitious fear.

                Sounds like you are describing the US since it's inception. THAT'S
                civilized?

                The Western
                > cultures are automatically superior to the savages' since it takes a
                > certain degree of sanity to concern oneself with the real world,
                > investigate it, and develop the extensive technologies to control it
                > as we have done.

                I see no discernable benefit from simply controlling 'the real world'.

                > Of course, it doesn't take that much sanity, as
                > should be obvious to any dispassionate observer of either the USA and
                > Japan.

                Dispassionate? You said you 'spit on the US".

                > So even though being industrialized doesn't guarantee sanity
                > (the Victorians certainly weren't), being primitive all but
                > guarantees insanity.

                You have tried to take a grain of sand and make a mountain. Sorry, I
                don't see anything but a grain of sand.

                > You may choose to order your life and beliefs according to the
                > anti-scientific precepts of cultural relativism, but most people do
                > not.

                I sincerely doubt that most people share the greater part of your
                belief system.

                > And shoving your provincial delusions in their face isn't going
                > to win you any friends or allies.

                I'm writing in a yahoo group that is dedicated to the carfree
                lifestyle; what are you doing here?

                > In fact, since people value social
                > justice far above ecological sustainability (because the former is an
                > immediate concern, while the latter isn't), your eco-freak stance
                > ("sustainability" is the only thing worth consideration) alone is
                > enough to put other people off.

                You've managed to contort a strawman; read my previous posts and you
                will see nothing of what you just stated.

                Occasionally a dittohead such as yourself wanders through here, and
                makes grand pronouncements and gets cheap thrills out of tilting at
                windmills. After a while, if they have any semblence of a life, they
                are off somewhere else making grand pronouncements and bashing anyone
                who holds an opinion other than there own.

                Cheers,

                Will
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 11, 2003
                  >> > Your point is self-sufficiency, so I would tend to agree, though
                  >> > there are many primitive cultures that are completely sustainable
                  >> > and self-sufficient. And yes, their numbers are decreasing every
                  >> > year as we attempt to 'civilize' them.
                  >>
                  >> You mean, as we DO civilize them.

                  Can we agree to close this topic now?

                  Thanks & regards,