Stat

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2003
      Interesting statistic from an LA Times article on street racing
      (otherwise not very relevant to the list):

      " Authorities recite a litany of grim statistics: In the last decade,
      more than 68,000 teenagers have died in auto crashes, making motor
      vehicle mishaps the leading cause of death for young adults nationwide,
      according to the Insurance Group for Highway Safety."

      For perspective:

      Murders in the US kill about 5,000 people a year; driving, about 45,000.
      And most of the murders are committed by relatives, friends, or
      acquaintances, and so not preventable by police work. Remember that
      next time someone complains that cops should be owrking on "real crimes"
      instead of giving tickets.

      By the way, how do you like the reporter's categorization of driving
      deaths--possibly the most violent outside of war--as "mishaps"? More
      spin to soften the effects of cars on our lives.

      Rick
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "A hundred times every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life
      are based on the labors of others."
      Albert Einstein