update

  • David Sucher
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 5, 2003
      "Paul Wolfowitz
      A report which was posted on our website on June 4 under the heading
      "Wolfowitz: Iraq war was about oil" misconstrued remarks made by the US
      deputy defence secretary, Paul Wolfowitz, making it appear that he had
      said that oil was the main reason for going to war in Iraq. He did not
      say that. He said, according to the department of defence website, "The
      ... difference between North Korea and Iraq is that we had virtually no
      economic options with Iraq because the country floats on a sea of oil.
      In the case of North Korea, the country is teetering on the edge of
      economic collapse and that I believe is a major point of leverage
      whereas the military picture with North Korea is very different from
      that with Iraq." The sense was clearly that the US had no economic
      options by means of which to achieve its objectives, not that the
      economic value of the oil motivated the war. The report appeared only
      on the website and has now been removed. "

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/