Is an Ecovillage world possible? Some new articles on carfreeuniverse

  • Colin Leath
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2003
      (My apologies to Carfree and carfreeecovillages list-- this
      is a bit of a duplicate.)

      The most relevant to these lists is the first article
      mentioned below.

      The point I'd encourage others to consider is that
      carfreeness within existing cities is likely to come from
      people in ecovillages (or other similar neighborhood
      associations) working with the bureacracy.

      What prompted this thinking was the article in
      http://directory.ic.org/

      about http://ecomagic.org

      That small intentional community has been instrumental in
      getting street closings in Palo Alto.

      Some related resources are:
      http://fic.ic.org/cmag/
      http://eurotopia.de/

      Vocal communities will be able to maintain the activism and
      energy needed to make parts of cities car-free. Isolated
      individuals are less likely to do so. The problem needs to
      be tackled from the bottom and the top, and at the bottom
      will most likely be urban ecovillages!

      Also visit this post on converting suburbs to ecovillages:
      http://article.gmane.org/gmane.politics.activism.carfreeecovillages/61

      --------------------------

      *Is an ecovillage world possible?*
      *Carfree living scenarios* in the eastern US. (living
      where there are no cars)
      *Research on Amish, Conservative Mennonites*

      *Is an Ecovillage world possible?*

      http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/evWorld
      This is an excerpt from page 132 of _Ecovillage Living_ by
      Hildur Jackson and Karen Svensson, presenting the case for
      why ecovillages need to be made within the mega-cities as
      well as out in the countryside.

      *Carfree living scenarios*

      http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/carfreePlacesNomad

      Some thoughts on living where there are no cars using
      primitive skills and a nomadic lifestyle in the Eastern
      United States. In particular, the C&O canal (180 miles of
      beautiful carfreeness), the Appalachian Trail (Maine to
      Georgia, & intersects with the canal), and the intercoastal
      waterway (Norfolk, VA to Florida).

      *Research into Amish / Conservative Mennonites*

      http://carfreeuniverse.org/Members/colin/AmishAndMennonites

      Many of you know the Amish do not drive cars. Recently I
      found the same is true of conservative Mennonites in various
      places, including Belize! What can be learned from these
      existing, successful, and growing communities of carfree
      people? What follows are some notes and links for
      consideration/discussion.

      Colin
      http://j9k.org