RE: Underground City update: the gap is (about to be) filled.

  • Louis-Luc
    Message 1 of 15 , May 7, 2003
      Hi, again.

      Today, I happened to walk towards gap between Square
      Victoria metro and Palais des Congrès, and I happily
      noticed the new walkway was open! I slowly started to
      stroll in to explore the new environment, and see where I would get. This
      place is really futurist. Beautiful neon lights are lighting the tall walls
      from the bottom, and these walls are made of thick glass panels.
      The brand new floors are all shiny, and the corridor is wide, so it can
      accomodate a good load of traffic.
      I ended up passing a door and recognizing the Palais des Congrès floor by
      the tile pattern. I arrived at the
      escalator which was not operating, so I climbed up like
      normal stairs. On the ground level I surprisingly
      saw the barrier poles were still blocking the way. I
      passed in the tiny gap next to the wall, and the guard came to me and said I
      was not allowed to go where I came from! He couldn't see me go in, no matter
      how well he keeps an eye on the prohibited area :-)

      I told him I went all the way from Square-Victoria metro and ended up there,
      and the passage was open.
      He told me they were making audio testings for the
      alarm systems, and the passageway would open in 2 to
      3 weeks. I told him the place is very beautiful and
      futurist. I continued my way to the Complexe Desjardins, thinking that May
      7, 2003 is the very first day I make the link between two formerly unlinked
      major sections of the Underground City.

      I'll wait for the delay to elapse before returning, but if a Montrealer from
      our forum want to give it the try before the official opening, I guess it
      would be cool.
      Of course, take the passage from Square-Victoria metro, to Palais des
      Congrès (and not the other way around), and tell us what the guard says. You
      just need to say you came from the metro and didn't know...

      The guards and other staff will just notice that the
      passageway system is awaited, and is already popular
      even before the official launch.

      Louis-Luc
    • m82a1_dawson@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 16, 2004
        Dear T_2000@yahoogroups.com, carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, montrain@...,

        Your friend m82a1_dawson@... thought you might be interested in this canada.com story:

        "Streetcar named the future"

        http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/story.asp?id=249AE7C3-5E1F-4424-A98A-C87D30B8E0E3

        Streetcar named the future
        Montreal lightrail meeting at 4505 Park Avenue tonight (March 16, 19:00). ASD