2 unrelated (?) stories about auto-madness

  • dan_belich
    Message 1 of 2 , May 6, 2003
      Just thought I'd pass along two stories I found recently. One dealing
      with the increase in traffic in the formerly bucolic suburbs of
      Boston, since everyone needs to drive everywhere, all the time, no
      matter what:

      http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/local_regional/gridlock04272003.htm

      the other, about what all this traffic might do to us:

      http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/2984923.stm
    • Simon Baddeley
      Message 2 of 2 , May 7, 2003
        I am increasingly of the view - and stories like those whose URLs appear
        below are proliferating - that the chief focus of those of us concerned with
        problems caused by autodependency is no longer to argue against cars. I
        notice that "car busters" have just announced their intention to alter their
        name to one that focuses more on the idea of car free environments and
        living patterns.

        I have fully digested the arguments - multifarious, logical, well developed
        and almost impossible to improve - against the car. The foremost challenge
        from now on is to grow the arguments and spread debate about alternatives to
        cars and trucks and increase understanding of changes in work, retailing,
        leisure and settlement patterns created by a century of government aided
        auto-supremacy. So pervasive has been the impact of car use that most of us
        have views of time, distance, speed, landscape, health, human relations,
        sexual attraction, work, leisure, shopping, child rearing, worship and
        aesthetics that are deeply entangled with habits of auto-reliance instilled
        from birth.

        As someone who is in his 60s and only took to cycling and walking and public
        transport as my preferred way of getting around in my mid-50s, I have
        realised how much I have had to change and how many scales have been
        gradually dropping from my eyes - literally and metaphorically.

        The principle that slavery was evil was soundly established by the early
        1800s. Specious justification continued in a self-serving way of course, but
        the arguments of Wilberforce and others against slavery have not been
        improved upon in the last 200 years. The issue became how to spread those
        arguments and the challenge of how to imagine and evolve economies that did
        not depend on slavery. I know there are other arguments. Cheap employment
        (wage slavery) was actually preferable to keeping slaves, and so on. I still
        think the analogy holds for the case I'm making that one set of arguments
        need no refining. The challenge now is that of inventing futures that are
        not autodependent in a world in which most of us in the rich world left the
        womb addicted by parental auto-dependency.

        Arguments for gender equality have not been improved since Mary
        Wollstencroft. The political work that followed was evolving a world in
        which her "bizarre" and "dangerous" ideas became common sense, given whole
        societies built on unequal relations between the sexes. Both men and women
        found equality inconceivable because their habits and styles of life were
        inextricably linked to a world-view in which men and women were unequal.
        Women were as much caught up in this misperception as men. Men and women
        contributed equally to change. Indeed men being more powerful and less
        constrained were sometimes able in the early days to make more prominent
        contributions to this campaign (e.g Married Women's Property Act promoted by
        Emily Pankhurst's husband.) (ditto Wilberforce was not a slave)

        Men continued to keep other humans as slaves and live in ways that
        subordinated women even as they knew both these things were unsound, wrong,
        deeply immoral.

        I know the day of the car in cities is over because this form of transport
        is flawed and wrong, but I still own a car and rely on it on occasion while
        campaigning for alternative transport and carfree environments. There are
        many more like me. I take no enjoyment from having a car. I want to see a
        world where land use policies and the plethora of ruinous regulations and
        economic subsidies that have created car dependent settlement are reformed.
        It is a long game and also requires intense intellectual focus because many
        of us are so deeply imbued with auto-dependent assumptions. It is hard to
        imagine a world without cars - or rather a world where they exist but are
        unnecessary.

        I detest needing oil, but even if cars are sustainably powered I'd want such
        changes in the scale and speed of cars before I could accept them near me
        that my views would remain as subversively antagonistic towards this form of
        transport whether or not fossil fuelled.

        I know this is what carfree is all about so my apologies if I'm saying the
        obvious.

        By the way if you want a little experience of finding it entirely normal to
        be without a car spend a few days in Venice. I've just come back from there.
        It seemed so entirely normal to walk or float. I experienced at first hand
        why Joel Crawford uses Venice as a paradigm for the idea of a car free city.
        (That said I could have done without the constant noise of motorised canal
        traffic).

        Regards

        Simon