Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel Cells Are Here

    Message 1 of 12 , May 3, 2003
      phillip m. torrone said:

      >this reminded me of a new segment i just saw. out in nantucket r.f.k jr as
      >well as walter cronkite are speaking up against wind power in their area,
      >here are their reasons....
      >
      >-might be harmful to migrating birds
      >-noise might be harmful to fish
      >-sailing / fishing might be suffer
      >-aesthetics
      >
      >http://www.saveoursound.org
      >
      >the last one, aesthetics was brought up by the advocates for wind power,
      >they say the wealthy folks don't want to "spoil their view" of the nantucket
      >sound which could lower their property values.

      I get pretty upset with people claiming to be green who trash
      every possible replacement for fossil fuel without offering any
      other plan. I believe that electricity on Nantucket is still
      generated by large diesel-powered generators, which are about
      the worst way to generate power, saving aside coal-fired plants.
      (They're also quite noisy.)

      So, if no windmills are to be allowed in an area that's suited for
      them (high average wind speeds), what then?

      Drop Bush
      Not Bombs

      -- ### --

    • Matt Hohmeister
      Message 2 of 12 , May 3, 2003
        I would not at all be surprised if the same people who despise wind
        farms for aesthetic and environmental reasons will also insist on
        driving their car everywhere, demand multilane eyesores to handle the
        traffic, and will stop any attempts to close streets, implement
        traffic calming, or introduce any form of mass transit.

        I rank these wind farm opponents up with the the folks who claim that
        we need huge, wide roads [with no traffic calming, of course] right up
        to every building for fire truck access, yet scream bloody murder when
        they get a $100 violation for blocking the fire lane.