Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel Cells Are Here

  • r walter
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      I just wanted to say as far as solar: When I said
      "solar energy" I should have said "all renewable"
      energy sources. Wind power ultimately comes from the
      sun, and is non-polluting. You can make wind
      generators without a lot of exotic elements.
      Geothermal is the only "renewable" not having a solar
      source.

      All in all someone really argue that the resources
      that go into making this equipment once, pollute more
      than refilling up a fuel cell time and time again with
      energy from a polluting source? Not to mention making
      the fuel cell in the first place.

      I think that the process of converting coal, or other
      fossil fuels into fuel for fuel cells probably
      pollutes more than just using gasoline. I'm saying
      this because the process of converting coal to
      electricity to hydrogen to power the fuel cell uses up
      more energy in total than the energy you would get if
      you just burned gasoline. You lose energy each time
      you convert. So why are fuel cells better? It just
      seems like a big farce - is there something I don't
      get?

      We've got about 300 years of coal left, I'd hate to
      see all that go into the air. Coal is cheap,
      alternative energy is not. I'm worried that the U.S.
      will take the easy way out.

      http://search.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 12 , May 2, 2003
        r walter said:

        >I just wanted to say as far as solar: When I said
        >"solar energy" I should have said "all renewable"
        >energy sources. Wind power ultimately comes from the
        >sun, and is non-polluting. You can make wind
        >generators without a lot of exotic elements.
        >Geothermal is the only "renewable" not having a solar
        >source.

        It's crucial to do net-energy-gain calculations on this.
        When you do, it appears that the ethanol subsidies in
        the USA are simply causing petroleum to be converted into
        ethanol (by farmers) with approximately zero net gain.
        (Different studies give different results, with some
        claiming modest gains and some seeing slight losses.)

        >I think that the process of converting coal, or other
        >fossil fuels into fuel for fuel cells probably
        >pollutes more than just using gasoline. I'm saying
        >this because the process of converting coal to
        >electricity to hydrogen to power the fuel cell uses up
        >more energy in total than the energy you would get if
        >you just burned gasoline. You lose energy each time
        >you convert. So why are fuel cells better? It just
        >seems like a big farce - is there something I don't
        >get?
        >
        >We've got about 300 years of coal left, I'd hate to
        >see all that go into the air. Coal is cheap,
        >alternative energy is not. I'm worried that the U.S.
        >will take the easy way out.

        Remember, this is the Bush game plan, not yet public.
        You read it in an editorial at Carfree.com:

        http://www.carfree.com/z_editorial_03a.html

        Coal is the only way the USA can continue its profligate
        energy consumption.

        Drop Bush
        Not Bombs

        -- ### --

      • phillip m. torrone
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2003
          this reminded me of a new segment i just saw. out in nantucket r.f.k jr as
          well as walter cronkite are speaking up against wind power in their area,
          here are their reasons....

          -might be harmful to migrating birds
          -noise might be harmful to fish
          -sailing / fishing might be suffer
          -aesthetics

          http://www.saveoursound.org

          the last one, aesthetics was brought up by the advocates for wind power,
          they say the wealthy folks don't want to "spoil their view" of the nantucket
          sound which could lower their property values.

          ...all interesting stuff to read about.

          cheers,
          pt

          Message 4 of 12 , May 3, 2003
            phillip m. torrone said:

            >this reminded me of a new segment i just saw. out in nantucket r.f.k jr as
            >well as walter cronkite are speaking up against wind power in their area,
            >here are their reasons....
            >
            >-might be harmful to migrating birds
            >-noise might be harmful to fish
            >-sailing / fishing might be suffer
            >-aesthetics
            >
            >http://www.saveoursound.org
            >
            >the last one, aesthetics was brought up by the advocates for wind power,
            >they say the wealthy folks don't want to "spoil their view" of the nantucket
            >sound which could lower their property values.

            I get pretty upset with people claiming to be green who trash
            every possible replacement for fossil fuel without offering any
            other plan. I believe that electricity on Nantucket is still
            generated by large diesel-powered generators, which are about
            the worst way to generate power, saving aside coal-fired plants.
            (They're also quite noisy.)

            So, if no windmills are to be allowed in an area that's suited for
            them (high average wind speeds), what then?

            Drop Bush
            Not Bombs

            -- ### --

          • Matt Hohmeister
            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2003
              I would not at all be surprised if the same people who despise wind
              farms for aesthetic and environmental reasons will also insist on
              driving their car everywhere, demand multilane eyesores to handle the
              traffic, and will stop any attempts to close streets, implement
              traffic calming, or introduce any form of mass transit.

              I rank these wind farm opponents up with the the folks who claim that
              we need huge, wide roads [with no traffic calming, of course] right up
              to every building for fire truck access, yet scream bloody murder when
              they get a $100 violation for blocking the fire lane.