Re: [carfree_cities] Fuel Cells Are Here

  • Wes Ballew
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2003
      How will the U.S. pay for streets, etc? What will be taxed? Will all roadways be paid for out of the general fund (I know it is something like 60% now)? Just curious.

      >>> bookofseg@... 04/30/03 08:57PM >>>
      Jym Dyer wrote:
      > =v= All absolutely true and worthy of consideration. Why just
      > shrug it off as something "you'll have people say?"

      i'm not shrugging it off at all. it's all about trade-offs. some folks look
      at those, some don't.

      > =v= Fuel cells have nice "tailpipe" emissions, but they require
      > other emissions. "Out of sight, out of mind" is hardly a sound
      > policy.

      i'm not a fuel cell fan for many reasons, that's certainly one of them.

      > P.S.: Fuel cell cars would still pollute with tire dust and
      > lead poisoning from wheel weights, of course. Plus they'd
      > still kill and injure people, cost lots of money, and prop
      > up a Hellish transportation infrastructure based on sprawl.

      yep, we need to not only work on improving the cars that are out there but
      all the other things you mentioned.

      cheers,
      pt

    • r walter
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2003
        I just wanted to say as far as solar: When I said
        "solar energy" I should have said "all renewable"
        energy sources. Wind power ultimately comes from the
        sun, and is non-polluting. You can make wind
        generators without a lot of exotic elements.
        Geothermal is the only "renewable" not having a solar
        source.

        All in all someone really argue that the resources
        that go into making this equipment once, pollute more
        than refilling up a fuel cell time and time again with
        energy from a polluting source? Not to mention making
        the fuel cell in the first place.

        I think that the process of converting coal, or other
        fossil fuels into fuel for fuel cells probably
        pollutes more than just using gasoline. I'm saying
        this because the process of converting coal to
        electricity to hydrogen to power the fuel cell uses up
        more energy in total than the energy you would get if
        you just burned gasoline. You lose energy each time
        you convert. So why are fuel cells better? It just
        seems like a big farce - is there something I don't
        get?

        We've got about 300 years of coal left, I'd hate to
        see all that go into the air. Coal is cheap,
        alternative energy is not. I'm worried that the U.S.
        will take the easy way out.

        http://search.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 12 , May 2, 2003
          r walter said:

          >I just wanted to say as far as solar: When I said
          >"solar energy" I should have said "all renewable"
          >energy sources. Wind power ultimately comes from the
          >sun, and is non-polluting. You can make wind
          >generators without a lot of exotic elements.
          >Geothermal is the only "renewable" not having a solar
          >source.

          It's crucial to do net-energy-gain calculations on this.
          When you do, it appears that the ethanol subsidies in
          the USA are simply causing petroleum to be converted into
          ethanol (by farmers) with approximately zero net gain.
          (Different studies give different results, with some
          claiming modest gains and some seeing slight losses.)

          >I think that the process of converting coal, or other
          >fossil fuels into fuel for fuel cells probably
          >pollutes more than just using gasoline. I'm saying
          >this because the process of converting coal to
          >electricity to hydrogen to power the fuel cell uses up
          >more energy in total than the energy you would get if
          >you just burned gasoline. You lose energy each time
          >you convert. So why are fuel cells better? It just
          >seems like a big farce - is there something I don't
          >get?
          >
          >We've got about 300 years of coal left, I'd hate to
          >see all that go into the air. Coal is cheap,
          >alternative energy is not. I'm worried that the U.S.
          >will take the easy way out.

          Remember, this is the Bush game plan, not yet public.
          You read it in an editorial at Carfree.com:

          http://www.carfree.com/z_editorial_03a.html

          Coal is the only way the USA can continue its profligate
          energy consumption.

          Drop Bush
          Not Bombs

          -- ### --

        • phillip m. torrone
          Message 4 of 12 , May 2, 2003
            this reminded me of a new segment i just saw. out in nantucket r.f.k jr as
            well as walter cronkite are speaking up against wind power in their area,
            here are their reasons....

            -might be harmful to migrating birds
            -noise might be harmful to fish
            -sailing / fishing might be suffer
            -aesthetics

            http://www.saveoursound.org

            the last one, aesthetics was brought up by the advocates for wind power,
            they say the wealthy folks don't want to "spoil their view" of the nantucket
            sound which could lower their property values.

            ...all interesting stuff to read about.

            cheers,
            pt

            Message 5 of 12 , May 3, 2003
              phillip m. torrone said:

              >this reminded me of a new segment i just saw. out in nantucket r.f.k jr as
              >well as walter cronkite are speaking up against wind power in their area,
              >here are their reasons....
              >
              >-might be harmful to migrating birds
              >-noise might be harmful to fish
              >-sailing / fishing might be suffer
              >-aesthetics
              >
              >http://www.saveoursound.org
              >
              >the last one, aesthetics was brought up by the advocates for wind power,
              >they say the wealthy folks don't want to "spoil their view" of the nantucket
              >sound which could lower their property values.

              I get pretty upset with people claiming to be green who trash
              every possible replacement for fossil fuel without offering any
              other plan. I believe that electricity on Nantucket is still
              generated by large diesel-powered generators, which are about
              the worst way to generate power, saving aside coal-fired plants.
              (They're also quite noisy.)

              So, if no windmills are to be allowed in an area that's suited for
              them (high average wind speeds), what then?

              Drop Bush
              Not Bombs

              -- ### --

            • Matt Hohmeister
              Message 6 of 12 , May 3, 2003
                I would not at all be surprised if the same people who despise wind
                farms for aesthetic and environmental reasons will also insist on
                driving their car everywhere, demand multilane eyesores to handle the
                traffic, and will stop any attempts to close streets, implement
                traffic calming, or introduce any form of mass transit.

                I rank these wind farm opponents up with the the folks who claim that
                we need huge, wide roads [with no traffic calming, of course] right up
                to every building for fire truck access, yet scream bloody murder when
                they get a $100 violation for blocking the fire lane.