RE: [carfree_cities] Park-and-Ride

  • Ronald Dawson
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2000
      Martha Torell wrote:
      >It would also show people that cars are not the only means of
      >transportaion and make them much more amenable to streetcars in the
      >bedroom communities.

      A lot of bedroom communities started off as streetcar and railroad suburbs.
      The trolley stop or train station would often be at the centre.
      Here on the island of Montreal the Town of Mount-Royal and the Montreal
      district of Notre-Dame-de-Grace are good examples of this. Dawson
      http://home.swipnet.se/ricard/tmr.html
      http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/MTC1941/MontrealTramwaysCompany-1941.gif
    • Martha Torell
      Message 2 of 5 , May 31, 2000
        > =v= Therefore, driving 5 miles to a park-and-ride lot and taking
        > a 20-mile train trip isn't going to eliminate 80% of the car's
        > air pollution, though most people participating in the system
        > are led to believe that they're doing so.

        If there were bike facilities at the park and ride, a lot of people who
        wouldn't dream of biking the 25 mile trip would consider biking five
        miles to the park and ride. Such an arrangement could turn a two car
        family into a one car family.

        It would also show people that cars are not the only means of
        transportaion and make them much more amenable to streetcars in the
        bedroom communities.

        Martha
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2000
          Martha Torell wrote:
          >> A lot of bedroom communities started off as streetcar and railroad
          suburbs.
          >> The trolley stop or train station would often be at the centre.

          >Right you are. This Memorial Day my 86 year old father-in-law described
          >the streetcars he used when he was a kid. They were seldom more than a
          >hundred yards from any house in the Pontiac suburb. However, I am
          >thinking now of suburbs that were wildlands when the streetcars ran.

          Well Martha, where I live, was built as war time housing. Just down the
          street from me is a Canadair Plant(Bombardier). About a half mile west from
          my house near the Canadair Plant there was once a streetcar line (Route
          #17). Also I'm about a half mile from two commuter train stations or a mile
          north of a Metro(subway) station.
          http://www.emdx.qc.ca/rail/MTC1941/MontrealTramwaysCompany-1941.gif

          >There are two generations that have not used streetcars and a lot of
          >boomers have never ridden passenger rail. Charm them, seduce them, make
          >it economical or convenient, but bring them back to rail.

          Gone, but not forgotten. Well I've heard the state of Michigan trying to
          improve Amtrak services and hidden away there is the Detroit People
          Mover(skytrain) and Detroit's tourist trolley's. Maybe these could be the
          catilysts for some thing to come? Dawson
          http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/odds/mi/mi.htm
          http://davesrailpix.railfan.net/dsr/dsr.htm
        • Martha Torell
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2000
              Martha said:

              >Right you are. This Memorial Day my 86 year old father-in-law described
              >the streetcars he used when he was a kid. They were seldom more than a
              >hundred yards from any house in the Pontiac suburb.

              I doubt the accuracy of this. I suspect that an examination of
              maps from the time would show that many places were as much
              as 400 or 500 yards from the nearest trolley line, but this
              is still only a 5-7 minute walk, which is very reasonable.

              >However, I am
              >thinking now of suburbs that were wildlands when the streetcars ran.
              >There are two generations that have not used streetcars and a lot of
              >boomers have never ridden passenger rail. Charm them, seduce them, make
              >it economical or convenient, but bring them back to rail.

              Apparently it works--trolley are becoming a major tourist
              attraction in San Francisco, almost on a par with the
              cable cars.

              ###

              J.H. Crawford _Carfree Cities_
              postmaster@... http://www.carfree.com