Re: [carfree_cities] OIL WAR - who is next ?

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 23, 2003
      Okay, let's get away from energy, or at least pretend we really could.

      I think Planetizen has an interesting article today on obesity:

      "Why don't Americans walk anywhere? Old answer: They're lazy. New answer:
      They can't. There is no sidewalk outside the front door, school is 5 miles
      away, and there's a six-lane highway between home and the supermarket. Many
      experts on public health say the way neighborhoods are built is to blame for
      Americans' physical inactivity - and the resulting epidemic of obesity."

      Here's the orignal article, if you haven't already read it:

      http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-04-22-walk-cover_x.htm

      For someone like me that remembers the 1950's when you still could walk to
      get most of what you need, this really rings true.