Re: how to go car-free in austin TX?

  • turpin
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 20, 2003

      they're serious about
      sending the yankees packing,
      all they have to do is ban
      air conditioning. ;-)
    • Michael A Ohene
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 20, 2003
        Yellow bike project
        -------------------
        This was mentioned. I have to say that as a cyclist, the
        impression I get from the yellow-bike project is a bad one.
        Some people with good intentions - remember what George
        Bernad Shaw said "All men mean well." "Hell is paved with good
        intentions". - are to politically correct concerning bikes.
        Some bikes are trash. In fact, almost everysingle bike on the road
        may not be trash, but they are definetly not suitable for
        transportation.
        When people think bikes. They view bikes as cheap toys. And
        people try to promote bikes as cheap transportation. That
        is completely false the only cheap bike you can get is a
        trashy, poorly made, labourious bike.
        People in Austin like Michael Bluejay, only reinforce the
        bicycle inferiorty, Toy Bike Syndrome B.S. spewed by people
        who have never ridden real bikes.
        The reality is that most adults have never ridden a bicycle
        made for transportation.
        And if someone needs a bike, why not just give the person
        a bike instead of creating a community bike that will be
        in poor condition and get stolen anyway. But I digress.

        >i'm trying to start my own
        >business, and how in the bejeezus is a person doing that supposed to
        >get all over town, to and from client's homes (who want everything
        >done yesterday) and paint and supply stores, without a car? what, am
        >i supposed to carry 10 gallons of paint and furniture in my
        >backback?? there is NO WAY i could do this on a bus or a bike, even
        >if i could ride one here.

        That is somewhat of a misconception about cyclists. People who
        know anything about bikes do not pretend that a bike is a
        wonder drug. It would be responsible and wise to use a bike
        for tasks that will not require a large amount of effort.
        It would be wise and responsible to use a car for tasks that
        are impractical to accomplish with the use of another vehicle.
        Its about appropriate usage, not about finding a wonder drug, any
        attempt to treat a vehicle as an all-around, do-everything machine
        will only lead to problems.
        Even I drive a car about once or twice a week. I don't view riding a
        bike as a being political like some of those critical massers. Those
        people aren't even cyclists they are anti-motorists in theory.

        Looking back, on how I started riding bikes. I doubt if I could
        honestly tell someone that they could just ride a bike to work.
        First there is a definite learning curve to riding a bike in traffic,
        learning the behaviour of motorists (e.g. never wait first or last in
        line at a traffic light, learning how to take the lane, behind the
        back birdie, etc). Riding a bike is a lifestyle not something you do
        to meet a need.
        Second you have to relearn about bikes from an experienced cyclists
        because some bike shops will just try to sell a mountain bike or
        whatever bike they want to get rid of to customers.

        >meanwhile, everyone bitched that building a light rail would
        >be a "waste of money 'cause no one will ever use it!"
        Wait a minute, Dallas has a light rail. Atlanta has light rail.
        If you build light rail for people with cars while they can still
        drive to work, then you might have a usage problem. It has to be
        encouraged not built as an embellishment.

        Like I said, this stuff should be compiled into an open source
        document so people know the answers to some of the common
        transit/planning problems. I posted a guide to bicycles in the files
        section on the yahoo site. Anyone is free to make
        corrections/suggestions.

        Later,
        militant cyclist
        Baton Rouge

        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "reb_78745" <rebtex@a...>
        wrote:
> [...]
        by
        > an army of tanks!
        > but i don't even ride a bike (i'm too terrified, plus everything's
        so
        > sprawled out, it would be impossible- plus for half the year it's
        110
        > degrees)- and i can completely relate to that message-- both
        sides...
        > what the poor lone biker must feel, as well as the driver- the
        > frustration of being trapped in traffic for hours on end in this
        city
        > of endless gridlocks... becoming more agitated by the minute, just
        > wanting to do ANYTHING to push your way out of it.
        >
        > i used to live in baltimore, where it was so much easier to get
        > around... i must have spent less than half the time in my car as i
        do
        > here. now, i can just hear a native austinite saying "well, if you
        > didn't move here--- you're just part of the problem..." yeah
        > whatever. people move all over the place all the time, and no one
        was
        > here "first"- except the native americans- so let's not be so
        > territorial. sure, we are all ruining the planet by being alive. so
        > what should we all do, commit mass suicide? well, i'm planning on
        > sticking around a while longer- so, no thank you. but dealing with
        > the reality here & now-- i DO NOT believe that it's all the yankees
        &
        > californians who have come here and "ruined austin". for one thing,
        > do you think it's only transplants who have SUV's? come on people.
        > texans love their tanks and their big ol' pickup trucks more than
        > anybody. but, the problem is so obvious-- POOR PLANNING on the
        city's
        > part. the city's growth exploded with the auto & development of
        > highways.. hence the sprawl. now we are trapped in a vicious cycle,
        > we need more highways to relieve pressure from the other highways,
        > but then those will just end up surrounded by more strip malls &
        > convenience stores, etc. etc... causing more traffic-- you know the
        > story. meanwhile, everyone bitched that building a light rail would
        > be a "waste of money 'cause no one will ever use it!" well, my
        > response to that (and this yankee voted FOR it): could the present
        > situation get any worse?? we HAVE to start finding some long-term
        > solutions here, or we WILL end up just like houston (and we're
        > getting closer every day), which seems to be everyone's fear.
        >
        > anyway... i could go on & on about the frustrating situation
        here...
        > but i absolutely HATE wasting so much of my life in a car living
        > here... hate the red tape that goes along with it, the tickets, all
        > that B.S..... but don't know how one is to live here without it. if
        > you are a student, and you live near your campus, or you live on a
        > commune, yeah- of COURSE it's easy! but what about the rest of us?
        my
        > options seem to be: 1) move to a city where the automobile hasn't
        > completely taken over, or 2) suffer.
        > i do try to consolidate errands and only go somewhere when it's
        > completely necessary... (which sounds good in theory!)
        > but what about work?? as an independent contractor, i have to be
        all
        > over the place all the time, and fast. i'm trying to start my own
        > business, and how in the bejeezus is a person doing that supposed
        > get all over town, to and from client's homes (who want everything
        > done yesterday) and paint and supply stores, without a car? what,
        am
        > i supposed to carry 10 gallons of paint and furniture in my
        > backback?? there is NO WAY i could do this on a bus or a bike, even
        > if i could ride one here.
        >
        > another thing i've noticed-- even those who like the freedom of not
        > having a car, or can't afford one, or don't believe in them--
        always
        > have to end up asking someone else for a ride at some time or
        > another. so, how is a person supposed to get around, REALLY,
        without
        > using SOMEONE'S car, or a cab, if not their own car---?
        >
        > anyone have any bright ideas, short of leaving town??
        > i/we sure could use some down here...
        >
        > thanks,
        > sick of texas traffic
        >
        > (rebeka)
      • Jym Dyer
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 20, 2003
          =v= Austin has 2 -- count 'em -- 2 Critical Mass rides.
          You might want to take a peek at this site:

          http://bicycleaustin.info/

          The newsletter, in particular, is devoted to car-free living,
          with an empahsis on Austin.

          =v= There's also a documentary out, "Bike Like U Mean It," which
          I haven't seen yet. Here's the Google incantation to find more:

          http://www.google.com/search?q=%22Bike+Like+%2BU+Mean+%2BIt%22

          (Google tip: Google will normally ignore the letter "U" and
          word "It", so the above puts plus signs in front of them.)
          <_Jym_>