RE: [carfree_cities] Digest Number 963

  • Patrick Kennedy
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2003
      it's funny that you bring up the plano transit village, although you
      included some awfully ugly photos of the apartment buildings. below i
      included some sites with better images of what my office, RTKL in Dallas,
      has done around Dallas. Addison Circle and Legacy Town Center are not yet
      connected to the fledgling DART metro, however they were planned for an
      eventual connection that could happen within the next five years or so.

      http://www.eastsidevillage.com/rendering.html

      http://www.mockingbirdstation.com/home_2000.html

      http://www.postaddisoncircle.com/dfw/addisoncircle/thecircle/frameset.html

      http://www.legacyinplano.com/towncenter/

      Patrick_Kennedy
      Urban Design

      RTKL Associates Inc
      1717 Pacific Ave.
      Dallas, TX 75201-4688
      www.rtkl.com

      pkennedy@...
      214.468.7679 Direct
      214.871.7023 FAX

      The information contained in this communication is confidential, may be
      privileged and is intended for the exclusive use of the above named
      addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s), you are expressly
      prohibited from copying, distributing, disseminating, or in any other way
      using any of the information contained within this communication. If you
      have received this communication in error, please contact the sender by
      telephone at (214) 871-8877 or by response via e-mail and permanently delete
      the original email and any copies.
    • Mike Harrington
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2003
        The important point is that Dallas' light rail has resulted in a big
        increase in pedestrian traffic and property values in the areas within a
        quarter of a mile of their stations. Walk-up customers, who mostly
        disappeared in Dallas in the 1950's, are back, and new architecture will
        reflect that. Of course, the light rail system isn't half completed and
        there will be more opportunities for pedestrian-oriented development in and
        around Dallas. DART now operate forty-four miles of light rail, one of the
        larger systems in North America, but will build another forty-nine miles of
        high-speed LRV lines within the next ten years.

        Here's a photo taken by DART of the Downtown Plano station when the north
        central line was under construction:

        http://www.dart.org/incs/expansion/downtownplanono1nov01.htm