slightly bad news..

  • phillip m. torrone
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 9, 2003
      http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/biztech/04/09/electric.cars.ap/index.html

      i take electric transportation each day (and gave up a car) as i pass by the
      gas station(s) i know that i've eliminated the middle man (which i'm sure
      many in the auto-fuel industry do not want to see happen) electric vehicles
      get us closer to non-oil and non-car solutions, but for now, i don't think
      we'll ever see them in mass production. gm knows (or was pressured to know)
      that the infrastructure (gas pumps, refining, drilling etc..) is all part
      of -their- ecosystem...so i think we'll only see hybrid then hydrogen-- both
      allow the current folks with the most to gain and the most to lose on top.

      corbinmotors who makes the sparrow, went belly up last week as well.

      and before some say "electricity comes from somewhere...that pollutes..."
      power plants are in one area, can be controlled, can use all sorts of fuels
      (solar, nuke, hydro) the average modern natural gas power plant is cleaner
      per kilowatt hour than even the best hybrid cars, and lastly power plants
      pollute far less than millions of independently owned cars...in my state the
      #1 form of pollution is from autos.

      stuff to think about, fuel cells are coming to laptops soon too-- while i
      like the idea and the value of long battery life. i'd rather not need to buy
      printer cartridge like things when i can power up with the current
      infrastructure for pennies-- but hey, once you buy a laptop, how can the
      company make money from ya?

      cheers,
      pt