New Issue of The New Colonist

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2003
      The April issue of The New Colonist is online and available now at
      http://www.newcolonist.com This month our features include:

      * Out of the Shadows--another episode in the Freeway Revolt in San Francisco
      * Logan & Wagner--an appreciation of an underestimated neighborhood in
      Philadelphia
      * St. Louis Landmarks--a musing on what makes the "middest" midwestern
      metropolis worth visiting
      * Terror and My Basement--one family's response to security hysteria

      In addition, we have our regular features, including:

      * How to Fight a Corporate War--editor Richard Risemberg spouts off again!
      * Three Rivers the World Avoids--editor Eric Miller on immigration &
      attitude in Pittsburgh
      * Citysongs--the story of music in Austin, Texas, and Austin, Texas, in
      music
      * Street Food--Sergio's, a modest gem in the suburbs of Pittsburgh
      * Roadkill Bill cartoon--a special double strip examing the entire
      history of sustainable culture on one page

      All on The New Colonist at http://www.newcolonist.com

      ANNOUNCEMENT:

      As of April, full access to our archives will require a paid
      subscription to The New Colonist. We have been self-funded for three
      years now, and it is time to bring about some economic sustainability.
      This will allow us to invest more time in both editing and production,
      as well as begin paying our contributors, and will result in an
      ever-better magazine for you, our readers, with more in-depth articles,
      a more pleasing appearance, more photography, and many new features we
      have not yet be able to implement.

      Subscriptions prices are fairly modest: $24.95 for complete access to
      everything for a year, along with special membership benefits such as
      our paper quarterly, Urban Views (soon to debut), new subscriber-only
      departments we have been planning, and discounts on eventual
      sustainability-related products and New Colonist promotional items.
      Those who subscribe before May 1 will pay only $12.99 for the first year.

      FRONT PAGE STORIES AND FEATURES WILL ALWAYS BE FREE TO ALL. This
      includes all City Pages, Feedback, Roadkill Bill, the forum, and more.

      The New Colonist is at http://www.newcolonist.com
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 30, 2003
        The New Colonist presents its October issue, online and available now at
        http://www.newcolonist.com This month we present:

        *"Big and Blue in the USA," by James Howard Kunstler
        *"Balancing the Busy with a Quiet City Garden," by Eric Miller
        *"The Ten Easiest Things You Can Do for Your Environment," by Richard
        Risemberg
        *"Remembering Carlton Wong," by Eric Miller
        *A Street Food review of Lithium, a new coffeehouse in East Hollywood

        Plus over five hundred archived articles, editorials, reviews, and more,
        all at The New Colonist, at http://www.newcolonist.com
        We dedicate this month's issue of The New Colonist to the memory of
        urban advocate Carlton Wong.
        http://www.living-room.org
        http://www.newcolonist.com

        "I believe that every right implies a responsibility; every opportunity,
        an obligation; every possession, a duty."
        John D. Rockefeller, Jr.