Re: [carfree_cities] New Editorial on the War

    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2003
      Patrick J McDonough wrote:
      > Mike-
      >
      > Care to explain how 2/3 of the unemployed go undercounted?

      The official method of counting the unemployed counts only those who are
      looking for work. If you've given up looking for work, but still don't
      have a job, you are nevertheless not "unemployed" for statistical purposes.

      Been that way for a decade or two, I understand.

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
    • prometeus57
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Richard Risemberg
        <rickrise@e...> wrote:
        > Patrick J McDonough wrote:
        > > Care to explain how 2/3 of the unemployed go undercounted?
        >
        > The official method of counting the unemployed counts only those
        who are
        > looking for work. If you've given up looking for work, but still
        don't
        > have a job, you are nevertheless not "unemployed" for statistical
        purposes.

        > Been that way for a decade or two, I understand.
        > Lu Hsun

        That's the least of it. Many scams are pulled on employment
        statistics.

        For example, in Canada, any person up to 25 years of age is
        considered fully employed. Why is that? Because /all/ of these people
        are supposed to be in university, supported by their parents, hence
        they don't count (even if they're dropout orphans looking for work).
        In addition, if you had a part-time job for half the year, you are
        considered fully employed, instead of 3/4 unemployed (even if you're
        starving and looking for work).

        All of this is easily understood by the fact that what and how
        Statistics Canada counts is controlled by the government, which has
        no motivation to report the ugly truth.
      • Mark Christiansen
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 2, 2003
          How do they consider those who have a full time job and a part time job?
          Are they still considered fully employed instead of 150% employed?

          Mark

          Better late than before anybody has invited you.
          -- Ambrose Bierce

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 3, 2003
            Hi All,

            Those familiar with my style of moderation will know that I'm not
            quick to jump in. However, the current discussion of the way
            unemployment statistics are kept in Canada and the USA is probably
            not very interesting for most people on this list.

            Can we move this discussion elsewhere, please?

            Thanks & regards,

            Drop Bush
            Not Bombs

            -- ### --