several things rolled together

  • charles
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2003
      I have read several sites recently that could be convencing to those
      that don't read a lot and who might not keep an open mind( An open
      mind is not a bad thing but one has to watch for leaks ). One site,
      Which I believe I have in my favorites, Tells the reader that "we are
      going to run out of oil folks" are mis-informed, but here is the rub,
      It too, as the USGS did, uses the term "unidentified for now" figure
      in adding up how much oil there is in the world. USGS uses 688
      billion barrels of oil QUOTE yet to be found UnQUOTE, if it is yet to
      be found, you might not want to include it, . If I were to go to a
      bank and ask for a loan on some Yet to be FOUND assets of mine, I'd
      get laughed at. Why would any rational mind think that if it is yet
      to be found we should depend on it?? Anyway, the writer goes on to
      misquote Campbell Et. Al, about them saying the world will RUN out of
      oil by 2020, or even 2010. Peak yes, run out NO. Calls M. King
      Hubbert several names, then attacks His old numbers( not even
      stating his newer numbers, or the ones refigured with updated data).

      It was stated on the Public radio show All things Considered, last
      week that a refigured 175 BILLION barrels of Oil from the Canadaian
      Tar sands has been added to the World's number for Oil supplies. If
      you read the site telling about the Tar Sands in Alberta, They say
      they are converting about 500,000 to 650,000 Barrels Of Oil from the
      Tar Sands. And they estimate that they can up production to 1.7
      Million barrels a day by 2020 with the help of about 20 different
      companies. By that time it would still only be 5% of the US's
      total need.

      Even if everything goes okay with the War in Iraq, The production of
      Oil is still 5 years away from more than before war peaks of 1.7 to
      2.5 million barrels a day. If you use Colin Campbells latest
      estimates of 60 to 70 billion barrels, that is a max of 2 to 3 years
      off the peak year, but if you add in the 5 years to get there, it
      won't help much. If things don't get up and running smoothly, It
      Won't help at all.

      Charles