unemployment statistics and underreporting

  • monkey_hex
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
      Once unemployment benefits run out you are *no longer* classified as
      unemployed. This is how our unemployment numbers are underreported
      and always have been.

      The Bureau of Labor Standards website states these definitions for
      unemployment:
      Unemployed persons
      Persons 16 years and over who had no employment during the reference
      week, were available for work, except for temporary illness, and had
      made specific efforts to find employment sometime during the 4-week
      period ending with the reference week. Persons who were waiting to be
      recalled to a job from which they had been laid off need not have
      been looking for work to be classified as unemployed.

      Duration of unemployment (Current Population Survey)
      The length of time in weeks (through the current reference week) that
      persons classified as unemployed had been looking for work. For
      persons on layoff who are counted as unemployed (see definition of
      Unemployed above), duration of unemployment represents the number of
      full weeks they had been on layoff. The data do not represent
      completed spells of unemployment.
    • charles
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
        Having been unemployed several times, I know for a fact that The
        Numbers the Gov't gives is only for those who Report in to the Gov't
        offices to ask for assistance. When I was first out of work I
        thought I would get nothing from the Gov't because this last time I
        was Fired. After about 2 months, It was not going to hurt anything,
        So I went in, only to find out that I could have been getting a
        small check from my state Gov't for being out of work even IF I had
        been fired. ( My reasons for being Fired Were shall we say not
        totally my fault, which was enough to get some money) If My getting
        fired was TOTALLY my fault I would have gotten help but no money.

        I used 8 to 9 weeks worth of my 13 and found a job Though NOT from
        what they had to offer. What they Paid me I had to pay Income
        taxes on, Which was 15% (which I think is stupid, If I am out of work
        why tax a poor man????).

        Oh and the POOR, New numbers make any family of 3, single earner,
        who earns less than $22,000 a year, POOR. Hey that makes me poor.
        Not uneducated, just poor. Of course there are numbers out that
        anyone earning more than $75,000 a year Rich, Which puts every
        Congress Person, from both parties and The House, in the Rich bracket.
        Oh and the Tax laws say if you earn more than $5,650 you have to
        pay taxes. Why should the POOR pay taxes????

        Gets off his soap box and goes home.

        Charles