ITE Conferance; Get Your Local and State Road Folks to Attend

  • paulparma
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 7, 2003
      Thanks to all the good ideas regarding the Active Transportation
      and/or Organic Exercise, etc. John, if you had previously highlighted
      your essay on the matter on your web site in late January, I apologize
      for lack of due diligence on my part. Could look like we're working
      together in getting folks to read one of your typically thought
      provoking ones. Still trying to come up with my own amalgamation of
      these these new personal and professional attempts to classify old
      conventions. Since I started this ball rolling I will summarize any of
      my own thoughts on this matter if they ever become what might be
      valuable.

      However I must further elaborate on the ITE (Institute of
      Transportation Engineers) conference (Patrick J McDonough indirectly
      linked via the "ActiveLivingByDesign" link) in the next couple of
      weeks on "Transportation's Role in Successful Communities" which seems
      to have a strong Walkability and Active Transportation bend as can be
      seen on their sessions page

      http://www.ite.org/Conference/schedule11.asp

      I suggest that those so inclined write quickly to your own State, City
      and County Transportation Department, City and Urban Planning
      Department and University Planning and Transportation Engineering
      Department contacts and Street and Urban Planning experienced and
      connected Architects and ask them if they are sending attendies. I am
      also asking my local contacts to provide me with a contact that can
      give me an informal report and possibly access to proceedings and
      handouts from the conference and state that as a poor student I would
      be much in their debt for such.

      I know we had at least one Planning student or instructor from Chappel
      Hill on this list at one time. That venerable educational
      establishment seems to be well represented at the ITE conferance.
      Maybe we can get a report to this list (via a link possibly) from one
      of those students or teachers,. I would be interested in how many
      non-academic and non-think-tank attendies there were and how they
      recieved any suggestions towards a smarter growth and more use of
      Active Exercise via the conference.

      Paul Parma
    • paulparma
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 7, 2003
        Sorry for two postings in one day but please note that the ITE
        technical sessions are March 24-26 so one could also attend the
        CarBusters conference that ends on March 22.

        'Noting that John Whitelegg, editor of World Transport Policy &
        Practice will make a presentation at the carbusters conference.

        Paul Parma