Re: [carfree_cities] Re: What's in a Name? The Less the Better!--Organic Exercise

  • Jason Davies
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
      >I'd think "ancillary exercise" is the stuff we do because we don't
      exercise
      >enough in daily life. How about "circumstantial exercise"?

      he:-) circumstantial originally meant 'standing around'...:-) the exercise
      you get waiting for a bus! How about 'reluctant''? :-)

      Circumstantial is nice because it implies the interaction with your
      environment, which is what you're after. Incidental would imply the lack of
      deliberateness.
      --
      Never argue with reality. You will only encourage it.
    • Robert J. Matter
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
        Concurrent

        Concomitant

        Simultaneous

        Coincident

        -Bob Matter
        -----------
        "Trains of all sizes dominate. Streetcars spin down streets
        in a national web of reliable rail. Bikes offer transit for
        over ten percent of commuters. Half of all Amsterdam traffic
        is two-wheeled, moving on safe lanes that bypass car traffic."
        --Jane Holtz Kay, New Colonist January 2003
      • Patrick J McDonough
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
          These words are too big, and sadly, concomitant will probably send many
          scurrying for a dictionary. Seriously, I like the mantra of our local
          group here in Chapel hill which is tying urban form to public health:

          "Active Living By Design"