Re: Urban automobile cost per mile

  • Andras Toth
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 6, 2003
      Fascinating discussion indeed... to which I would like to add an even
      more international dimension.

      Being Hungarian, I have cycled on a day-to-day basis in France,
      Belgium and Hungary, and I have been in touch with bicycle advocacy
      groups everywhere. They all use the health argument.

      Obesity is NOT a US-only problem. It is particularly present in
      Hungary where we traditionally eat too much and too fat.* And I bet
      health experts in the UK would not deny its presence either. It is
      simply a disease related to the nature of western consumerist culture.

      I understand Jason is talking about his own particular case and he
      never meant to speak for the average. However I think there could be a
      point in making cost calculations for the average cyclist and food
      consumer in each country with the help of available national
      statitics, and use that as a reference. What we here could come up
      with is a common method of calculation. Any suggestions?

      Andras Toth

      Budapest

      * Laughing, eh? Not very polite of you! We call ourselves "magyar", we
      did not invent the starving English name. One more example of the
      built-in bias in the English language !
    • Jason Davies
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 6, 2003
        >However I think there could be a
        >point in making cost calculations for the average cyclist and food
        >consumer in each country with the help of available national
        >statitics, and use that as a reference. What we here could come up
        >with is a common method of calculation. Any suggestions?

        It is going to be very approximate. A bike can cost anything from £50
        second hand to £3,000. The London Cycling Campaign might have something
        they have come up with for London. As I said, London is particularly tough
        on wheels (to be honest, it depends on where you live).

        various companies have (finally) started costing cycling as an expense. I
        don't have any figures but I have seen mention of them; obviously they must
        be working with something. But of course, car expenses are traditionally
        overpaid...:-) I wonder if they did the same thing with bikes...
        --
        What follows is a real-life A level exam entry...

        ...Agamemnon has little respect for nobbless oblidged in this passage.