Re: [carfree_cities] What's in a Name? The Less the Better!

  • Jason Davies
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
      >Ideas? If it isn't a often spoke of spoke aspect of anthropology I
      >think it should be especially when comparing car cultures to non-auto
      >ones.

      I think an anthropologist would just call it 'incidental exercise':-) They
      wouldn't necessarily think of the contrast with auto/non-auto, it's too
      vague and they don't like defining things against non-existent comparanda.
      They would talk of agricultural, fishing, hunting etc societies.

      As a classicist I can't think of any suitable Latin or Greek word that
      could sum this up except 'diaitic' (a very forced Grecism) which would just
      sound pretentious:-) (and confuse people).

      Greek diaita = 'lifestyle'

      Latin for lifestyle would probably be habitus, ie habitual, and that would
      mean something else now.
      --
      Driving in London: Rules of engagement #1
      If the light is green at any point on your approach, consider it green. If in doubt, put your foot down.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
        http://www.activelivingbydesign.com/

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
          I'd think "ancillary exercise" is the stuff we do because we don't exercise enough in daily life. How about "circumstantial exercise"?

          Richard

          > Was trying to give a succinct name to that exercise that one gets by
          just the things one does over the course of a typical day with no
          specific intention of getting such exercise.

          I came up with 'Ancillary Exercise'.

          Unintentional Exercise?
          Quotidian���
          Accidental���

          Luckily, I had to cut the paragraph with the unsure nomenclature due
          to length limits in the report.

          Ideas? If it isn't a often spoke of spoke aspect of anthropology I
          think it should be especially when comparing car cultures to non-auto
          ones.

          Paul Parma

          Group address: <a target=_blank
          href="http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/">http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/</a>

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <a target=_blank
          href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>