What's in a Name? The Less the Better!

  • paulparma
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
      Was trying to give a succinct name to that exercise that one gets by
      just the things one does over the course of a typical day with no
      specific intention of getting such exercise.

      I came up with 'Ancillary Exercise'.

      Unintentional Exercise?
      Quotidian…
      Accidental…

      Luckily, I had to cut the paragraph with the unsure nomenclature due
      to length limits in the report.

      Ideas? If it isn't a often spoke of spoke aspect of anthropology I
      think it should be especially when comparing car cultures to non-auto
      ones.

      Paul Parma
    • Jason Davies
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
        >Ideas? If it isn't a often spoke of spoke aspect of anthropology I
        >think it should be especially when comparing car cultures to non-auto
        >ones.

        I think an anthropologist would just call it 'incidental exercise':-) They
        wouldn't necessarily think of the contrast with auto/non-auto, it's too
        vague and they don't like defining things against non-existent comparanda.
        They would talk of agricultural, fishing, hunting etc societies.

        As a classicist I can't think of any suitable Latin or Greek word that
        could sum this up except 'diaitic' (a very forced Grecism) which would just
        sound pretentious:-) (and confuse people).

        Greek diaita = 'lifestyle'

        Latin for lifestyle would probably be habitus, ie habitual, and that would
        mean something else now.
        --
        Driving in London: Rules of engagement #1
        If the light is green at any point on your approach, consider it green. If in doubt, put your foot down.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
          http://www.activelivingbydesign.com/

          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 6, 2003
            I'd think "ancillary exercise" is the stuff we do because we don't exercise enough in daily life. How about "circumstantial exercise"?

            Richard

            > Was trying to give a succinct name to that exercise that one gets by
            just the things one does over the course of a typical day with no
            specific intention of getting such exercise.

            I came up with 'Ancillary Exercise'.

            Unintentional Exercise?
            Quotidian���
            Accidental���

            Luckily, I had to cut the paragraph with the unsure nomenclature due
            to length limits in the report.

            Ideas? If it isn't a often spoke of spoke aspect of anthropology I
            think it should be especially when comparing car cultures to non-auto
            ones.

            Paul Parma

            Group address: <a target=_blank
            href="http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/">http://www.egroups.com/group/carfree_cities/</a>

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to <a target=_blank
            href="http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/">http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/</a>