malls vs public streets

  • Christopher Miller
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 6 8:05 AM
      An eloquent reminder of the difference between malls and (shopping)
      streets:

      Malls: for consumers (note the word), at the pleasure of their private
      owners and on those owners' terms, not free to express themselves even
      in the most innocuous fashion, even in a "free" country.

      Streets: for citizens (note the word), free to express themselves, in
      free countries at least...

      Read this story from the CBC website, today:

      http://cbc.ca/stories/2003/03/05/mallshirts030305

      Christopher Miller
      715 ouest, boul. Jacques-Cartier
      Longueuil QC
      J4L 2S2
      Canada

      +1 514 995-0185 (mobile)
      +1 514 987-3000 x 2361# (office/bureau, Montréal)

      christophermiller@...
      miller.christopher@...
    • paulparma
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9 4:37 AM
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Miller
        <christophermiller@m...> wrote:
        > An eloquent reminder of the difference between malls and (shopping)
        > streets:

        I second Chris' notions, especially after reading the news story (see
        Chris' original message).

        This is another bullet to put in lists of benifits and costs of
        carfree vs. carcentric.

        Paul Parma
      • Rachel
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9 9:59 AM
          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "paulparma" <info@v...> wrote:
          > --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Miller
          > <christophermiller@m...> wrote:
          > > An eloquent reminder of the difference between malls and
          (shopping)
          > > streets:
          > >
          > I second Chris' notions, especially after reading the news story
          (see
          > Chris' original message).
          >
          > This is another bullet to put in lists of benifits and costs of
          > carfree vs. carcentric.

          But I live in southern Arizona and in the summer I often hang out at
          the mall since being outside in 100+ temps isn't too much fun. I
          frankly have not seen or experienced harrassment at the mall and I
          always carry a backpack, which is considered a security risk now a
          days. I think, as with all things, it depends on the mall/shopping
          center/place of business, etc.