Re: [carfree_cities] Re: London non-congestion.

  • Jason Davies
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2003
      >I shall arrive on my Brompton at Euston Station next Monday morning
      >(Feb 24) around 7.30am to go to Wood Green via Pentonville Road,
      >Kensal Rise and Hornsey - returning to central London after 4.30 pm.

      isn't that mostly north of the zone? I can't vouch for that area! I do know
      that on the rare occasions I have gone north of Euston I have noticed that
      the drivers are all noticeably more careless than in south London. It's
      weird just how different they are.

      I spoke to a guy who has a shop on Finchley Road today, by the tube
      station. he said this week has been the worst week for enquiries they can
      remember in years. He is rather worried but hopes that last week was
      unusual and that people will venture out again (this is surprising really,
      since he is on a red route; you wouldn't expect people to pop in really!).

      I suspect that traffic levels will rise again and that this week was a
      relative Utopia. Whether it reaches the old levels...I hope and think not.

      >wonder if travel by cycle will be as good as you describe, Jason.
      >It'll be my first visit since C-day. Thanks for this reassuring
      >posting.

      Let us know how *you* get on. I will update as I go in (I don't go in every
      day and sometimes mix train and bike).