Re: [carfree_cities] Quote of the week...and the London non-congestion.

  • Jason Davies
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 21, 2003
      shame it was Goering:-)

      >Field Marshall Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials, a few months
      >before he was executed in 1946.

      So I cycled into London and back at peak hours for the first time this week
      today. Wht was the difference? Firstly, 50 minutes instead of an hour (11
      miles or so). To my amazement I only stopped at two red lights in Brixton
      and was through there in a minute or so (I reckon that's where I saved
      nearly all of the ten minutes: It is usually an absolute nightmare) But a
      different route home producd the same time. There were virtually no lines
      of standing traffic. Instead of stopping with the cars (remember how windy
      and awkward London roads are; you can't simply slip by stopped cars usually
      because of the parked cars!). I think I *only stopped* at traffic lights,
      which is a revolution for me. II still had a nutter try to turn left
      through me to swear at but overall, it was far more comfortable, *much*
      less stressful and substantially quicker.

      The same journey takes me between 70 and 90 minutes by train, an hour by
      train and bike (off-peak only) and I have been a passenger on the journey
      that took 40 minutes late at night (so I dont konw how much slower that
      would be by day). So for the first time in my ten years cycling in and out
      of London, a bike is the fastest form of transport even for a lengthy
      journey (I'm not trying the bus; and none of them go the right way). If you
      allow for the time it takes to park by Euston, a car is even slower.

      All in all very pleasing. I would still like to see delivery vehicles
      barred by daylight hours or something similar as they are the worst drivers
      and if they're not running you down, they're parking awkwardly. But is
      bordering on civilised now.

      We'll see if it lasts next week when the schools go back (and of course a
      lot of people plead that they have to drive when they drop their kids off).
      But I enjoyed it