Re: [carfree_cities] lyrical phrases

  • jym@econet.org
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2000
      > I'll second the motion for more lyricism in our exchanges,
      > when possible.

      =v= One memorable quote that I see now and again is, "Widening
      freeways to relieve congestion is like loosening your belt a
      notch to lose weight."

      =v= You can cull great lyrical turns of phrase from Edward Abbey
      (fiction) or James Howard Kunstler (nonfiction). I've got a
      whole book full of bicycle-related quotes, as well. :^)
      <_Jym_>
      --
      We have a culture in denial and you are buying into it because
      changing your life seems too hard. The lies you swallow are
      Message 2 of 3 , May 29, 2000
        > I've got a whole book full of bicycle-related quotes, as well. :^)

        =v= _The_Quotable_Cyclist_ is the book I've got. There's
        another one called _The_Literary_Cyclist_.

        > So g'head, give us one...

        =v= Aw heck, here's a bunch!
        <_Jym_>
        --
        %%
        Above all, it is the young who succumb to this magic.
        They experience the triumph of the motorcar with the full
        temperament of their impressionable hearts. It must be
        seen as a sign of the invigorating power of our people
        that they give themselves with such fanatic devotion to
        this invention, the invention which provides the basis
        and structure of our modern traffic.
        -- Adolf Hitler
        %%
        Cycling in the city, and particularly in midtown,
        is anarchy without malice.
        -- The New Yorker, "Talk of the Town" section
        %%
        In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're
        used to it you don't realize that through that car window
        everything you see is just more TV.
        -- Robert M. Pirsig
        %%
        Let 'em ride a bike like me, would do me and them and everybody
        a world of good. Cleanse our city's air, reinvigorate the
        blood, tone up the muscles, strengthen the heart, burn up that
        surplus fat, stave off arteriosclerosis, cut down on bypass
        operations, eliminate transplants, lower the cholesterol count,
        prolong lives. Yes and reduce oil consumption, slow down the
        waste of steel and rubber and copper and glass, free human labor
        and engineering skills for important work -- anything bad for
        the auto industry and bad for the oil industry is bound to be
        good for America, good for human beings, good for the land.
        -- Edward Abbey
        %%
        Other forms of transport grow daily more nightmarish.
        Only the bicycle remains pure in heart.
        -- Iris Murdoch
        %%
        The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and,
        when it gets old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and
        get a new one without shocking the entire community.
        -- Ann Strong, _Minneapolis_Tribune_, 1895
        %%
        The only hope for the world is to slow down. Let them all
        go 15 miles an hour because we're trying to kill each other,
        and it's pretty stupid. The government is helping us do it,
        in my opinion, through the military-industrial-complex
        conspiracy with all the oil companies and the auto companies.
        We're going faster, we're killing everybody and we're angry
        all the time. The only way to fix that is to tear up all
        the asphalt. I'm going to start doing it, one pothole at a
        time. Dig a pothole, save the world!
        -- Tom Magliozzi, of "Car Talk"
        %%
        To ride a bicycle properly is very like a love affair; chiefly
        it is a matter of faith. Believe you can do it and the thing
        is done; doubt, and for the life of you, you cannot.
        -- H.G. Wells
        %%
        When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the
        future of the human race.
        -- H.G. Wells
        %%
      • Ronald Dawson
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2000
          Jym wrote:
          >> I've got a whole book full of bicycle-related quotes, as well. :^)
          >=v= _The_Quotable_Cyclist_ is the book I've got. There's
          >another one called _The_Literary_Cyclist_.
          >> So g'head, give us one...
          >=v= Aw heck, here's a bunch!

          >%%
          >Above all, it is the young who succumb to this magic.
          >They experience the triumph of the motorcar with the full
          >temperament of their impressionable hearts. It must be
          >seen as a sign of the invigorating power of our people
          >that they give themselves with such fanatic devotion to
          >this invention, the invention which provides the basis
          >and structure of our modern traffic.
          > -- Adolf Hitler

          I've got a quote for the list too! Dawson
          --
          "My love, belongs to the automobile. The auto has given me the most
          beautiful hours of my life. To me railways are a relic of earlier years."