Re: [carfree_cities] Re: Should bike racks be placed on public transit vehicles?

    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2003
      Steve wrote:
      > Mike,
      >
      > In Ottawa we have bike racks on some buses, not all but still we have
      > some. In Hull (Gatineau) just across the Ottawa River we don't have
      > any.
      In Los Angeles, almost every bus has a bike rack, and folks use them
      quite a lot. And of course you can just roll a bike onto the Metro
      trains, though not at rush hour, and you do need a permit which I
      believe is free.

      Richard
      http://www.living-room.org
      http://www.newcolonist.com

      "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
      just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
      to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."

      Lu Hsun
    • Jason Davies
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 4, 2003
        >In Los Angeles, almost every bus has a bike rack, and folks use them
        >quite a lot. And of course you can just roll a bike onto the Metro
        >trains, though not at rush hour, and you do need a permit which I
        >believe is free.

        In the UK you can do somethign similar with many (but not all) trains
        (though not buses! not our buses...too small) in off-peak hours but if you
        want to go on a long-distance one you have to book it and pay an extra £3
        ($5) each way; which makes it very inconvenient as you cannot always just
        hop on and off (even for a short trip on a long distance train). Some areas
        though, such as the Yorkshire Moors, don't carry bikes at all. And some
        have a stupid little space for bikes which people always fill with
        suitcases immediately (and you can't get on until they do, as they are in
        the way...). It's far from satisfactory.
      • Mark Watson
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 2003
          Bike racks on buses *are* used a fair bit here in Seattle. And like Paul in Austin, some routes are often quite full. One of the 2 floating bridges that cross Lake Washington, doesn't allow bikes on the roadway; but all buses, including off-duty ones, are supposed to stop for cyclists waiting at the stops. The trouble is, many buses zoom by because their racks are full.

          A small step in the right direction: Sportworks (the local company that makes the excellent bike racks for most of the transit systems in the U.S.) has a new triple rack that is the same size as its popular double, has the same mounts, etc. Here's a pic of the DL3 Trilogy: http://www.bikemap.com/transit/photos_files/bus_bike_rack.jpg
          Sportworks: http://www.swnw.com

          For those folks more interested in these sorts-of things, there is another list: http://topica.com/lists/bikes-n-transit/ It is pretty low volume recently.

          Info from vtpi - Bike/Transit Integration
          http://www.vtpi.org/tdm/tdm2.htm

          And on the concept of 'white bikes':

          Community Bicycle Programs http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/freebike.htm

          Bike Sharing: Case Studies
          http://www.ibike.org/encouragement/freebikerpt.htm

          And, of course, another (low volume) email group:

          Mark

          "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

          ----- Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003
          From: "J.H. Crawford"
          Subject: Re: Re: Should bike racks be placed on public transit vehicles?

          Hi All,

          There's another, much simpler appoach to this problem,
          which is the use of "white bikes," loaner bikes that you
          "drag and drop." You'd ride your own bike to the transit
          halt, lock up your bike, ride to close to your destination,
          grab a white bike, and pedal there. These systems have
          been tried, successfully, in Copenhagen and unsuccessfully
          in Amsterdam (theft problems in the first attempt 35 years
          ago, equipment troubles with a recent revival).

          IMHO, it doesn't make a lot of sense to try to accommodate
          bikes on buses. It's an operational problem (delays while
          people mount and remove their bikes) and there's no reasonable
          solution to the problem of inadequate space for bikes if more
          than two people want to use them. We can't have city buses
          delayed for several minutes while bikes are being handled.
          With metros (and possibly trams), it would be possible to
          dedicate one car of the train to wheeled vehicles generally,
          arranged for direct roll-on, roll-off loading/unloading.
          I just don't think it works very well with buses, and the
          systems I've seen rarely appear to be used.

          Save rainforest for free with a Planet-Save.com e-mail account:
          http://www.planet-save.com