[carfree_cities] Disabled/Car-Free (was: Law Suit for ...)

  • Jym Dyer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003
      > Her contention is that driving is simpler and more enabling
      > for those who have physical difficulties.

      =v= Those with certain physical disabilities are most in need
      of individual motorized transport. For those who can afford,
      say, a wheelchair-accessible van, I'm all in favor of the rest
      of us getting out of their ways. Indeed, one of the reasons I
      think the rest of us have a responsibility not to waste finite
      resources such as oil is that others truly need them.

      =v= Unfortunately, not everyone with that sort of physical
      disability can afford individual motorized transport. Also,
      there are other types of disability that preclude driving.

      =v= For these reasons I think disabled advocates and those
      of us who advocate transportation alternatives have a lot of
      common ground and should work together.
      <_Jym_>