Re: [carfree_cities] Bush's speech, deconstructed

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 30, 2003
      I think the fundamental weakness of the US economy was the mid-century
      decision to embark on a program of spiraling energy and land-use,
      irrespective of the economic consequences of such madness. As this position
      becomes untenable in the new century, the ruling classes, both the Democrat
      and Republican varieties, will resort to increasingly desperate measures to
      maintain the fiction of unlimited energy resources and preserve the bankrupt
      lifestyle embarked on by their grandparents. This includes continued
      subsidy of the automobile and urban sprawl, resulting in the impoverishment
      of the population and domestic industry, as well as colonialism abroad due
      to the exhaustion of US domestic oil supplies. No good has or will come of
      it.