Re: Carfree Times #29; Karen Mell; freestateproject.org

  • Colin Leath
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2003
      Joel, (and carfree lists)
      You may remember my email to the carfree-wg about the
      freestate project
      http://www.freestateproject.org/

      I am interested in this approach,
      If Karen wants help setting up mailing lists/ websites, I should be able
      to help out that way, if there aren't more technologically able people who
      are similarly inclined.

      I expect there's been talk on the other carfree list about this,
      (but I haven't been following it)

      If there's not already a project underway that you've now found out about,
      let's start choosing a name for our project/ yahoo group / website

      I think I'd have a lot more fun working on this sort of thing than the
      other approaches to carfreeness I've seen. The idea of having to persuade
      people (of what I find obvious) that carfree is good
      (especially at planning meetings) = no fun (for me).

      Let's get a group together of those who already want carfree and see what
      we can do along the lines of what Karen suggested. If we can get something
      going there will be plenty of others who want to come along.

      Even if we don't succeed in this approach, I think it will be fun to try.

      What we'd be doing is similar in a way to the ecovillage movement...
      http://gen.ecovillage.org/
      but few of them are large enough to be cities (and might not want to be)
      and few are explicitly carfree

      I'm now recalling the many times I have daydreamed doing something like this... and began to contemplate how we would define carfree... (probably you've covered this on your web site/in your book, and I've forgotten or not read what you had to say) I should love there to be no gas powered weed eaters, leaf blowers,
      scooters, generators, and, ha, no smokers (of any damn thing) (wood fires,
      ok?)
      And how this will relate to/affect/challenge my interest in more
      libertarian forms of governance- :)

      rah! rah!

      Colin