Re: [carfree_cities] Dutch trains

    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      >> the situation
      >> wtih the train system [in Holland] is dire, in contrast to the glib
      >> pronouncements
      >> of "reliability." (This is the result of privatization....)
      >
      >Could you expand?

      Strikes, bad maintenance, cancelled and delayed trains, rapidly rising
      fares, practically everything that CAN go wrong with a railroad IS
      going wrong with the Dutch National RR. Nobody seems to understand why,
      but everybody agrees that it's bad. So, a soltuion, of course, is
      just to take the car instead...

      It was a great system when I moved there 12 years ago.

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • Mark Jaroski
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2003
        J.H. Crawford wrote:
        > Strikes, bad maintenance, cancelled and delayed trains, rapidly rising
        > fares, practically everything that CAN go wrong with a railroad IS
        > going wrong with the Dutch National RR. Nobody seems to understand why,
        > but everybody agrees that it's bad. So, a soltuion, of course, is
        > just to take the car instead...
        >
        > It was a great system when I moved there 12 years ago.

        It seemed markedly worse just this week than when I lived in
        Amsterdam some 4 years ago.

        If you hadn't made the same observation I might have thought
        it was simply a frame of reference problem since I was
        arriving in the Netherlands from Chicago at that time, and
        from Switzerland this time.

        -- mark at geekhive dot net --