social damage of cars

  • John O. Andersen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
      This point Richard brings up is very important, and one that doesn't get
      enough air time. Cars isolate us socially, and they deprive us of natural
      associations, and a sense of place in our immediate neighborhood.

      Sort of reminds me of an excerpt from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to
      the Galaxy. In England, the term "bypass" in this context, refers to a ring
      road around a city, or perhaps what we would call a freeway.

      "Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B
      very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People
      living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to
      wonder what's so great about point A that so many people from point B are so
      keen to get there and what's so great about point B that so many people from
      point A are so keen to get *there*. They often wish that people would just
      once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be." - Douglas Adams

      John Andersen
      Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com

      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2003
        This is so true. That's why urban renewal with state of the art public housing, transportation and health care is so important. There are so many worthwhile organizations to which I'd like to contribute here in Dallas/Fort Worth but I can't stand the drive. Everything is just to far apart. It's ridiculous.
        sw
        "John O. Andersen" <editor@...> wrote:This point Richard brings up is very important, and one that doesn't get
        enough air time. Cars isolate us socially, and they deprive us of natural
        associations, and a sense of place in our immediate neighborhood.

        Sort of reminds me of an excerpt from Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide to
        the Galaxy. In England, the term "bypass" in this context, refers to a ring
        road around a city, or perhaps what we would call a freeway.

        "Bypasses are devices that allow some people to dash from point A to point B
        very fast while other people dash from point B to point A very fast. People
        living at point C, being a point directly in between, are often given to
        wonder what's so great about point A that so many people from point B are so
        keen to get there and what's so great about point B that so many people from
        point A are so keen to get *there*. They often wish that people would just
        once and for all work out where the hell they wanted to be." - Douglas Adams

        John Andersen
        Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com

        > >>I think people make a mistake when they hang the issues of urban
        > >>transportation on where the energy will come from. The energy *will*
        > >>come from some place, and likely will be even cheaper per BTU a
        > >>hundred years from now.
        >

        > > While we shouldn't downplay the potential role of energy shortages
        > > in moving the carfree agenda forward, neither should we hang the
        > > whole thing on this one issue. As we all know, there are many reasons
        > > to make the change, and we should always try to bring all of them
        > > forward, even in this day of simple-minded media.
        >

        > All the more important, as one energy field the car addicts will
        > certainly approach--it can work with present-day engines after a slight
        > tweak--is ethanol/methanol. The call for more fuel plantations could
        > make rainforest destruction seem paltry by comparison.... Even a
        > mythical car that used NO energy would still cause extreme social and
        > environmental damage.
        >
        > Richard
        > --
        > Richard Risemberg
        > http://www.living-room.org
        > http://www.newcolonist.com
        >
        > "Hope cannot be said to exist, nor can it be said not to exist. It is
        > just like the roads across the earth. For actually there were no roads
        > to begin with, but when many people pass one way a road is made."
        >
        > Lu Hsun

        It's as respectable to be modified monkey as modified dirt.