Affordable walkable/bikeable communities in the USA?--seeking input

  • John O. Andersen
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2002
      The other day I visited a friend in Gresham, Oregon (actually rode there with my daughter on our bikes from downtown Portland).

      Seeing Gresham from the seat of a bike, impressed upon me the walkability of that city. It's a perfect place for someone to easily live without a car. And with a light rail connection to Portland, the airport, and an increasing number of destinations throughout the metro area, it's a great home base.

      This got me thinking that there must be other similar places across the USA. And that is the purpose of this message. If you know of such a place, please share.

      Specifically, I'm looking for places that meet the following criteria:

      1. Affordable. By that I mean clean, attractive, well-maintained 2 BR apartments for under $800 a month; something a person with a lower middle class income could afford. In some higher cost areas (like Washington DC, for instance), the rents may be higher, but other amenities like free museums, low-cost public transportation, etc. could more than compensate for the difference.

      2. A variety of grocery stores, discount stores, medical, dental, restaurants, specialty stores, hardware stores, public library, etc., within a mile or so.

      3. Sidewalks, and bike lanes.

      4. Parks nearby.

      5. Schools in the neighborhood, including a community college.

      6. Excellent public transportation system which includes light rail, and buses.

      Let me know if you know of such a place. I want to compile a list, and put it on my website. Thanks.

      John Andersen
      Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com