Affordable walkable/bikeable communities in the USA?--seeking input
- The other day I visited a friend in Gresham, Oregon (actually rode there with my daughter on our bikes from downtown Portland).
Seeing Gresham from the seat of a bike, impressed upon me the walkability of that city. It's a perfect place for someone to easily live without a car. And with a light rail connection to Portland, the airport, and an increasing number of destinations throughout the metro area, it's a great home base.
This got me thinking that there must be other similar places across the USA. And that is the purpose of this message. If you know of such a place, please share.
Specifically, I'm looking for places that meet the following criteria:
1. Affordable. By that I mean clean, attractive, well-maintained 2 BR apartments for under $800 a month; something a person with a lower middle class income could afford. In some higher cost areas (like Washington DC, for instance), the rents may be higher, but other amenities like free museums, low-cost public transportation, etc. could more than compensate for the difference.
2. A variety of grocery stores, discount stores, medical, dental, restaurants, specialty stores, hardware stores, public library, etc., within a mile or so.
3. Sidewalks, and bike lanes.
4. Parks nearby.
5. Schools in the neighborhood, including a community college.
6. Excellent public transportation system which includes light rail, and buses.
Let me know if you know of such a place. I want to compile a list, and put it on my website. Thanks.
Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com
[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]