Re. Rebuttal ; RESPOND to NYTs by SUNDAY 22 DEC

  • paulparma <info@venetianpassage.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 21, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>
      wrote:
      The NYT has a 150 word limit on letters to editors, for publication
      anyway.

      So here's my 149 word version I sent to 'letters' and 'redburn' at
      nytimes 'dot' com.

      NOTE: DEADLINE TO RESPOND TO Tom Redburn's incredibly misdirected
      ARTICLE is SUNDAY 22 DECEMBER (TOMORROW); Some of you folks are great
      writers, please try to find the time today.

      *****************

      The only known viable way to produce hydrogen is from fossil fuels
      contrary to Mr. Redburn's major assertion that a 'Hydrogen Economy'
      could work without burning fossil fuels.

      Regarding Mr. Redburns assertion that hydrogen could "ease the threat
      of global warming without taking away the freedom and mobility that
      Americans and Europeans take for granted", an American and not a
      European road (and parking) infrastructure precludes my choosing to
      walk or take a fuel and space economic train to pursue my happiness.
      We must drive our cars to all but scratch our noses, and cleaner cars
      won't abate our waist line or community disconnection.

      Denser, more mixed-use urban marketing options would do much more than
      tweaking the fuel-wasting, space-hogging auto, and would render as
      much mobility, and get you to work as quickly. Build-out would also
      provide A LOT OF WORK to unemployed Americans like myself.

      Paul P