Re: [carfree_cities] Re: My observations of master-plan communities

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 17, 2002
      White flight is more of a northern phenomenon than a southern one. Although
      the new suburbs in Houston and Dallas are in majority white, not all of them
      are, and there are visibly more blacks and Hispanics living in the suburban
      and rural areas than in the northern US. In fact, in those two cities at
      least, the more affluent areas are usually closer in to the urban cores, and
      people who can will pay higher housing prices to avoid time-consuming
      commuting. In Houston, the housing prices jump way up once you get close to
      and inside the inner loop freeway 610. The fastest-growing element of the
      population are Hispanics, and it seems to me they are settling everywhere at
      once, rural and urban, in Texas at least.

      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 18, 2002
        Steven,

        I think you've nailed it. People want the appearance of urban living, not
        the real thing.

        It's just like people who decorate their homes with all sorts of
        sophisticated paintings and furnishings, but don't know the first thing
        about the history behind them, or history in general.

        It's all for effect.

        John Andersen
        Unconventional Ideas at http://www.unconventionalideas.com

      • tenpagyatso <tenpagyatso@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 20, 2002
          First, thanks for the follow-up.

          In Milwaukee not only is white-flight a reality but the city has
          fostered a relatively large amount of housing development in the
          downtown area. So we have something similar as to what you describe
          in Texas.

          However, Milwaukee still has a city-center that is crumbling from
          poverty and all that comes with it (high unemployment rate, houses
          being torn down, higher density of crime, etc.). So while we have
          some wealthier people heading into downtown to live in the new
          developments there is still a lareg number of people who have left the
          city (and county) for the burbs. And of course Milwaukee city and
          county is suffering from budgetary shortfalls.

          --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Harrington" <mike@p...>

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/