Plano, TX pedestrian-oriented development

  • Mike Harrington
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 11, 2002
      Dallas Area Rapid Transit started service twenty miles north of downtown Dallas to Plano two days ago. I wish I'd gotten more of the apartments, businesses and streets adjacent to the rail station in this photo I took at Downtown Plano station yesterday. You can get a traditional-style apartment overlooking or near the Downtown Plano suburban rail station. It is very much like a traditional suburban neighborhood of the Texas of yesteryear. Most of the buildings are red brick, with parking behind, not in front of, the buildings which face the streets. There is a feeder-bus station nearby. Electric rail service from Dallas to Plano quit in 1948, but now it's back with welded rail, elevated bridges and concrete ties. This line, and the Dallas-Garland line which opened on November 18th, use a 3¾-mile subway to get to downtown Dallas through the most gridlocked part of town. Dallas now has forty-four miles of double-tracked light rail, and are building another forty-nine miles in the next ten years. They also have a diesel commuter rail to Fort Worth, which means that Tarrant, Collin, and Dallas counties now have rail transit. This November in Denton County northwest of Dallas, voters approved a bond issue to build a rail connection in their county to the twenty-seven mile line between Dallas and Carrollton, TX.

      Here's Plano, TX: