Re: [carfree_cities] Re: "America's Epidemic of Youth Obesity"--NYT article

    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 5, 2002
      turpin said:

      >In the strict economic sense, those aren't subsidies. Your restaurant
      >bill also covers the condiments, water, placeware, table space, a
      >lakeside view, air conditioning, and many other things that aren't
      >itemized. If you don't like paying for those things when you eat your
      >steak, go to a restaurant that has fewer of them and cheaper fare.
      >Similarly, you can work for an employer that offers lots of perks (on-
      >site child care, covered parking, free snacks, on-site gymnasium), or
      >one that offers other kinds of reward and opportunity, but fewer
      >perks. Take your pick.

      Not really, no. Where can you find a restaurant you can walk to and
      not have to pay for "free" parking you're not using? Where can you
      buy "carfree goods," the cost of which has not been increased to
      pay for employee parking?

      These costs are insidious, they're large, and not all of them are
      monetary. It'll be difficult to put this all on the table, but
      we have to do it. There are a couple of modelling efforts going on
      that should help to do just that.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • paulparma <info@venetianpassage.com>
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>

        > I see a window of opportunity here. The next year or two are going
        > to be years of budget crises in the USA, especially at the state
        > level. ....................
        >
        > Are we ready? Can we organize to take adantage of this opportunity?
        > Can we start a massive program of writing to legislators and news
        > media? Can anyone take responsibilty for coming up with the best
        > numbers we've got and working them into some generalized press
        > releases? Can others tailor these for local environments and get
        > them into the right hands? Lots of work, but some real chance of
        > a payback.

        Should we be targeting the transportation departments as well as ,
        maybe even preceding lobbying the legislators? These guys are are the
        ones under presure; there's all that federal money, waiting to be
        matched, because we are still driving and paying those federal gas tax
        dollars, so the federal pile keeps getting bigger, and unused. Won't
        the state folks know that as the DIRECT gas taxes go up, the gas usage
        goes down. Which I think, if this is in fact so, can be properly
        countered with, sure, now you'll have all the money you need to do
        what ever people want to pay for.... so trtansit, and most central,
        dense building and rebuilding, wil get a fare shake.

        To me this is the thing we have to discuss, besides the numbers, and
        were it comes from now stuff; that is we need to diccuss what we think
        the very astute sense of the xportation administrators to know that if
        they raise the gas taxes, revinue, especially in a recovered economy
        will be down from what it could be in the current methodology. I
        think that the game has in fact changed in that toll roads are now
        the previlent building mode.... discussion by more informed
        members....

        Paul Parma