Re: [carfree_cities] Re: "America's Epidemic of Youth Obesity"--NYT article

    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 4, 2002
      What we need is a whopping gas tax, even higher than in Europe.
      Let's say we increase the gas tax a nickle a month, forever.
      In ten years, the tax would be $6.00, which would have a useful
      effect. By introducing it gradually and on a predictable
      schedule, you minimize the economic and social dislocations.

      This is political suicide in the USA, of course, but then so
      is practically ever other approach to reducing driving. :-(

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com
    • paulparma <info@venetianpassage.com>
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>

        > I see a window of opportunity here. The next year or two are going
        > to be years of budget crises in the USA, especially at the state
        > level. ....................
        >
        > Are we ready? Can we organize to take adantage of this opportunity?
        > Can we start a massive program of writing to legislators and news
        > media? Can anyone take responsibilty for coming up with the best
        > numbers we've got and working them into some generalized press
        > releases? Can others tailor these for local environments and get
        > them into the right hands? Lots of work, but some real chance of
        > a payback.

        Should we be targeting the transportation departments as well as ,
        maybe even preceding lobbying the legislators? These guys are are the
        ones under presure; there's all that federal money, waiting to be
        matched, because we are still driving and paying those federal gas tax
        dollars, so the federal pile keeps getting bigger, and unused. Won't
        the state folks know that as the DIRECT gas taxes go up, the gas usage
        goes down. Which I think, if this is in fact so, can be properly
        countered with, sure, now you'll have all the money you need to do
        what ever people want to pay for.... so trtansit, and most central,
        dense building and rebuilding, wil get a fare shake.

        To me this is the thing we have to discuss, besides the numbers, and
        were it comes from now stuff; that is we need to diccuss what we think
        the very astute sense of the xportation administrators to know that if
        they raise the gas taxes, revinue, especially in a recovered economy
        will be down from what it could be in the current methodology. I
        think that the game has in fact changed in that toll roads are now
        the previlent building mode.... discussion by more informed
        members....

        Paul Parma