Re: "America's Epidemic of Youth Obesity"--NYT article

  • paulparma
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 3, 2002
      All,

      Great thread folks-- for me anyway., actually a subthread (invention;
      a subthread title tab option -- easily abused).

      thanks for the VTPI reference; what a find. Noted that the figures at
      their site for most external costs like pollution, etc. was way below
      the two show stealers; Time in System and Car costs. In spite of
      knowing that pollution costs could be way higher than they stated,
      the fact that they and the researchers they site are very wary of over
      playing these totally external items echos the idea that politically
      that hand has some serious downside..

      Seems to me that such external items are the ones that most motivate
      folks to really want to live in a carfree area, but the people that
      would not be early adopters really hate to hear about pollution
      problems or community cohesion improvements, etc.. Guess my point or
      rather hypothesis is that I think it likely that options should be
      most motivated by those external issues and sound fiscal execution of
      such options would be expected in a properly administored world...
      'May be sophmoric; others could determine this better than I.

      Anyway, still yet to see exactly where all the money comes from and
      goes to; I'm willing to spend the time to learn though and expect
      it'll be a bit painful. I think a three dimensional map, with all
      states or a few representative states, that shows just from where and
      where to, the money goes would be both helpful and necessary. It
      would be good to show how we have had the business and life style
      decision taken away from us.

      Will check out Elephant in the Bedroom when I get a chance.
    • paulparma <info@venetianpassage.com>
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>

        > I see a window of opportunity here. The next year or two are going
        > to be years of budget crises in the USA, especially at the state
        > level. ....................
        >
        > Are we ready? Can we organize to take adantage of this opportunity?
        > Can we start a massive program of writing to legislators and news
        > media? Can anyone take responsibilty for coming up with the best
        > numbers we've got and working them into some generalized press
        > releases? Can others tailor these for local environments and get
        > them into the right hands? Lots of work, but some real chance of
        > a payback.

        Should we be targeting the transportation departments as well as ,
        maybe even preceding lobbying the legislators? These guys are are the
        ones under presure; there's all that federal money, waiting to be
        matched, because we are still driving and paying those federal gas tax
        dollars, so the federal pile keeps getting bigger, and unused. Won't
        the state folks know that as the DIRECT gas taxes go up, the gas usage
        goes down. Which I think, if this is in fact so, can be properly
        countered with, sure, now you'll have all the money you need to do
        what ever people want to pay for.... so trtansit, and most central,
        dense building and rebuilding, wil get a fare shake.

        To me this is the thing we have to discuss, besides the numbers, and
        were it comes from now stuff; that is we need to diccuss what we think
        the very astute sense of the xportation administrators to know that if
        they raise the gas taxes, revinue, especially in a recovered economy
        will be down from what it could be in the current methodology. I
        think that the game has in fact changed in that toll roads are now
        the previlent building mode.... discussion by more informed
        members....

        Paul Parma