Re: "America's Epidemic of Youth Obesity"--NYT article

  • paulparma
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2002
      --- In carfree_cities@y..., "Matt Hohmeister" <mdh6214@g...> wrote:

      > If our governments stopped subsidizing transportation, car use would
      > be much less popular, due to its much higher cost, since not all
      > taxpayers would be forced to pay for the activities of some.

      Would like the group, OK maybe just myself if I'm the only one that
      doesn't get it, to get in sync on this.

      Exactly what are the amounts and items subsidized. Acording to the
      Department of Xportation, most federal Highway money comes from gas
      taxes, the rest, a much lesser amount, coming from income taxes.

      I have been led to think that a business can write off the money lost
      in offering free parking to its employees (customers as well?). This
      would be a lot if the diference is based on what could have been built
      in lieu of a parking lot (a side; denser building means higher
      property values; I would be living in Venice, New York or San
      fransico now otherwise).

      So what else SPECIFICALLY is there? No pollution costs, etc. please.
      I can't use that at a party, even in Austin. The biggest cost I see
      isn't hidden, but is still sizable -- the direct and upkeep cost of
      car ownership $5K-$6.5K for most, a lot less to me and mine.

      Thanks in advance.

      Paul
    • paulparma <info@venetianpassage.com>
      Message 33 of 33 , Dec 11, 2002
        --- In carfree_cities@yahoogroups.com, "J.H. Crawford" <mailbox@c...>

        > I see a window of opportunity here. The next year or two are going
        > to be years of budget crises in the USA, especially at the state
        > level. ....................
        >
        > Are we ready? Can we organize to take adantage of this opportunity?
        > Can we start a massive program of writing to legislators and news
        > media? Can anyone take responsibilty for coming up with the best
        > numbers we've got and working them into some generalized press
        > releases? Can others tailor these for local environments and get
        > them into the right hands? Lots of work, but some real chance of
        > a payback.

        Should we be targeting the transportation departments as well as ,
        maybe even preceding lobbying the legislators? These guys are are the
        ones under presure; there's all that federal money, waiting to be
        matched, because we are still driving and paying those federal gas tax
        dollars, so the federal pile keeps getting bigger, and unused. Won't
        the state folks know that as the DIRECT gas taxes go up, the gas usage
        goes down. Which I think, if this is in fact so, can be properly
        countered with, sure, now you'll have all the money you need to do
        what ever people want to pay for.... so trtansit, and most central,
        dense building and rebuilding, wil get a fare shake.

        To me this is the thing we have to discuss, besides the numbers, and
        were it comes from now stuff; that is we need to diccuss what we think
        the very astute sense of the xportation administrators to know that if
        they raise the gas taxes, revinue, especially in a recovered economy
        will be down from what it could be in the current methodology. I
        think that the game has in fact changed in that toll roads are now
        the previlent building mode.... discussion by more informed
        members....

        Paul Parma