Re: [carfree_cities] Re: re:homezones

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 28, 2002
      Bill T replied:

      >So until the carfree future dawns getting
      >traffic slowed down for the reason it cuts pollution (but I dont
      >know if it does or not!?) could get some people started cycling and
      >growing towrds carfree advocacy.

      I'd check with ITDP in Victoria for data on pollution-vs-speed
      data. Many of the studies will be assuming that lane additions
      will reduce congestion (false) and so also reduce pollution
      (thus also false). The real question that needs answering here
      is whether or not cars moving at steady slow speed emit more
      or less garbage than cars moving at steady higher speeds.
      The question of cold-start pollution needs also to be taken
      into account. Todd Littman runs ITDP and is likely to know about
      this. I'd be very interested to know what you learn, but I'm
      afraid that it won't support lowering speeds to lower pollution,
      at least not directly. If it reduces total driving (likely), then
      it would perhaps help, if the reductiion in driving were sufficient.

      Regards,

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities
      mailbox@... Carfree.com