Re: [carfree_cities] Gables of Amsterdam

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2002
      Gutters are built on top of the walls. These slope towards
      the back of the house, and downspouts lead the water down
      the rear gable (sometimes I think also the front gable).
      The pitch is slight but sufficient. I believe the water is
      directed into the storm sewers. It's no problem, in any
      case, and the houses abut each other without gaps.

      >Hope this is the right place for this. Haven't relly investigated
      >housing building methods for block similar to what J.H. Crawford
      >proposed but I've intended too, and here goes.... One of the
      >questions I've had on my list is how do the Amsterdam gabled houses
      >(i.e., the gable is at the front of the house creating valleys or
      >near valleys between the houses. If the valley is real, that is the
      >adjoining roofs actually meet, the water would not so much run out the
      >back and front of the valley, but would overflow at those ends,
      >because there is no gradient through the valley, as there IS at
      >valleys formed from the conjunction of two perpendicular hip roofs.
      >
      >If the gables don't meet, the water off both roofs go right between
      >the two houses. Seems like a lot of water, especially on the coast
      >(heck past the real coast in Amsterdam), to be pooling between a foot
      >or two wide strip of soil. What gives?
      >
      >A picture of the gables that I'm finding problematic in theory, but
      >seems to work in practice (hey that's kinda screwy) are in the Carfee
      >Cities book. A gabled roof that Lets the water run off the front and
      >back of the houses, unlike Amsterdam, and which I'm not having this
      >problem with can be seen at
      >http://www.serge.j.freesurf.fr/helene/urbains/honfleur1.htm

      -- ### --

      J.H. Crawford Carfree Cities